is it charging or not????

indianboater

Cadet
how can i check my 1973 50hp evinrude to see if its charging or not?<br />can i use a multimeter or is there another way?<br />i have a new battery that shouldnt go dead after just a little trolling,do i have charging problems, trolling motor problems or battery problems??<br />some say im a problem by myself!!!!!! :p <br />thanks guys

sloopy

Commander
Re: is it charging or not????

I would use new rings... I thought they had to be cut to be removed

brother chris

Commander

What are you talking about Sloopy :confused: I thought we were here to offer GOOD advice. <br />Indianboater, just be patient, someone here will answer you with a proper answer. I don't know anything about your question, so I will leave it to the pros here. Cheers :cool: <br />Actually , what am I talking about. After reading your post again, of course you can check it yourself. Use a mutilmeter and check battery to see that it is around 12.50 amps and check it is running and see if the amps are going down or staying the same. After boating check it again and see how it is. That is the way I would try it anyways.

Trent

Captain

Before cranking the engine..Put a voltmeter across the battery and see what the voltage is. Should be around 12.5 to 13 volts. Now crank the engine and around 1000 to 1500 RPM check the voltage again. It should have gone up over the next few min. If not you are not charging. It should show 13.5-14 volts if charging. Hope this helps?

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Indian, Trents on the right track, a charged battery should be between 12.3-12.8 volts, your charging system should show an increase in voltage up to 14 volts while running. If this checks out your charging system is working, need to do a load test on your battery to see if its good, most battery shops will do it for free or You could crank engine (without starting it) and watch voltage drop on your meter, I don't think you want to see it drop below 9 volts in a 5 seconds while trying to start.<br /><br />P.S. <br />Please excuse sloopy's comment, some say he's funny, I'm afraid I can't see the humor or any sense at all in this last post. Maybe he thinks he's posting on another subject, if so his comment may be brilliant or funny. Who knows?

indianboater

Cadet

I think Sloopy replied to a question I posted last nite about replacing rings on a 115 johnson v-4. i have a blown piston and didnt know if i could just replace the piston and use the old rings to keep the compression the same as the others (155 on the other 3).<br />thanks for the replies and the help

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

OH, I just figured he was crazy as ever!