Is it all done? Fishing around the Cape?

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys, anyone having any luck around Cape Cod lately? I went off Popponesset the other day (week ago), had some live eels and some peanut bunker, was blanked save for one dogfish. I drifted the eels with no weight, about 5ft below surface, decent current. BLANKED!<br /><br />Anybody have any better luck lately, or should I begin my winterization procedures?<br /><br />Scott

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Is it all done? Fishing around the Cape?

:) Stripers up our way are just about done!! They must still be around your way but spotty!!!<br />Yesterday the shore fishermen had a blast catching allot of bluefish at plumb cove beach!!!<br />The blue fish had the mackeral on the shore line of the beach!!!People that fished had caught at least 10- 15 blues apiece!!! the faster ya hauled them in the more ya caught!!! even made the daily paper on the front page of the gloucester daily times with pictures!! If interested click on <br /><br />www.gloucestertimes.com <br /><br />As soon as ya click on you will see the picture ;) :cool:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Flyrod you are so wrong.<br />My brother in law caught 4 stripers off Race Point on a 7 ounce jig and went to Nausset where he caught 2 40''+ stripers on black eel.All of this happened this Weekend.<br />The Southend of the Canal still holds some Albies.

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer

wow, wish I was there FLYROD.....<br /><br />I am going to try again prob early next week, and yes, rolmops, the tip (from beach) is still pretty hot, those are some nice fish he caught...

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Rolmops!!! Race point is about 50 miles south from here which is a big difference!!!The fish that were here are now being caught south of here towards the Cape<br /><br />Plus what am I wrong about??? there are still some small stripers up here but nothing to brag about when you are catching big fish consistently!!!! Up here the end is near!!! ;) :cool:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Flyrod,you were wrong about them being spotty.They are STRIPED!!!

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Ya got me on that!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Fly Rod

Commander

:) It's all done here,as far as stripers and blue fish!!! The tuna fish may be all done also after this storm that has been off shore churning up the ocean with 10'- 15'seas for the last 5 days and no sunshineand water temperture drop of 8 degrees!!! ;) :cool:

KennyKenCan

Commander

Them stripers are still running down here on Long Island.<br /><br />A friend of mine went out on his last run over the weekend, and they claimed that they were hitting all day. 4 keepers on the boat!<br /><br />I will be trying my hand at it this comming weekend, when I will drive my truck out to Moriches Inlet, and try a little surf-casting.

gaugeguy

Captain

Hey Kenny, you ever get up to Montauk Point? I hear it has arguably the best striper fishing north of the Chesapeake??

KennyKenCan

Commander

You got that right gaugeguy!<br /><br />I've been out to Montauk Point all my life!<br /><br />From Montauk Point to Block Island, is the most productive striped bass area in the world.<br /><br />Alot of record fish have been caught there, including the worlds largest "Great White" shark!<br /><br />I have fished there numerous times, but on a chartered boat. I don't know those waters well enough for me to take my little 20ft'r there.<br /><br />I have fished Plum Gut in my own boat, and it is right between Orient Point and Plum Island. Great fishing, but watch the currents thru there, as at tide change, ALL of the water from Long Island Sound, enters and exits thru this very narrow gap in the reef.<br /><br />Long Island east end fishing is some of the finest in the world!