Is Galveston expecting any .....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
....effects from Ivan? Don't know if I've seen Mr. and Mrs. Ladyfish post recently.

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: Is Galveston expecting any .....

I live 189 miles inland from Galveston and there is nothing on the local knews about it so I assume it shouldn't affect them.

ob

Admiral

Here's what Ladyfish posted this morning Boomyal,-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br /><br />Good luck Stratosfied and the rest of you who live in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.<br /><br />Even as far away as we are from the storm we are beginning to experience tidal flooding and will through tomorrow morning. They predict 4' above normal and on the end of the island where we are the roads flood between 3-4'.<br /><br />Mr. LF and a friend yanked our boat out of the water last night and did the same for our immediate neighbor who lives in Houston, this is their weekend place.<br /><br />Mr. LF and I picked up anything that could float away last night. We don't expect any winds just high tides and surf.<br /><br />I read this morning that Ivan will still be a hurricane 12 hours after it makes landfall which means quite a bit of damage to portions of Mississippi and Alabama. Then its predicted to stall in the southern Apalacians (sp) and create massive flooding.<br /><br />My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you in its path.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I live close to Galveston. Basically LF stated correctly. Galveston is worried about erosion due to strong undertows taking sand away. Tides will be higher than normal flooding some roads, but nothing major.

LadyFish

Admiral

Boomyal, et al,<br /><br />The tide levels didn't get as high as expected, only a couple feet above normal. The surf was great however, and we had the Seawall lined up from one end to the other with surfers. Of course a half dozen camera crews were here as well expecting the unexpected.<br /><br />We were prepared for a sudden turn to the west from its predicted path and sat vigil as we always do. Thankfully, with all the new tracking technology they are able to be pretty darn accurate.<br /><br />My heart goes out to those who are, and will be affected. Ivan came ashore about the same size as Alicia was when it hit here in '83, and I know what kind of damage it can do.<br /><br />Thanks for your thoughts.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Good to hear, LF!