Is fogging oil different than it used to be???

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Been fogging and winterizing for 30+years . Always remembered at the point of fogging the engine a cloud of smoke which was the same cloud upon spring start up.Using Starbrite and Stabile fogging oil spray in past years ....no noticable smoke.Hardly any at all.I am not shy with the fogging oil at all.I introduce it slowly at first for a few minutes and the double fist it with 2 cans and a final douse of MMO to stall in dual 5.0 XL mercruisers.I have had to apologize to my neighbors for the smokeout in the past but not so much anymore.Wazzz upp?? Charlie

alldodge

Staff member
Not sure if it has changed, but we all know if something can be made cheaper and cost the same it will be done

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You know I’ve never gotten much smoke any year I’ve done mine just a bit….I think stalling it is important because if it doesn’t stall most of the oil will burn off instead of leaving a coating

mr 88

Commander
Have not fogged a engine in over 35 years , yet all those engines started right up in the spring and never had any issues related to winterizing/fogging . Marketing 101 in play here gentlemen.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The fogging is done on older 2 strokes to coat all the bearings on crankshaft with lots of sticky oil.-----A can of storage oil should do for about 5 seasons on a V-6 model 2 stroke or a V-8 inboard.----But as stated there is a lot of overkill done on winterizing.------Had an individual call me about a quote he got for $400 to winterize a V-4 Evinrude.----I explained what he should do at home.-----He said ---" thank you for your teaching "

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I noticed it as well. I used about half a can of Starbright at idle and let it lug to a stall, no back fire. No smoke at all. I also filled the block with antifreeze but left the exhaust drained and empty just in case the manifolds are leaking. Keep the valves from rusting

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Also the fogging oil used to be a foaming displacement additive.Spraying it into sparkplug housing ,the oil would foam up once inside the cylinder and coat the entire cylinder.Todays fogging sprays sure dont do that any more.Charlie