is fishing from the shore even worth it?

Five O'Clock

Petty Officer 1st Class
Question for all of you anglers, is fishing from the shore or rocks or bridges or anywhere inshore even worth fishing? I feel it seems hopeless to fish on the shore or anywhere on solid land.

juneau

Cadet
Re: is fishing from the shore even worth it?

Of course you are on a boating site so most might disagree, but.....I have caught lots of Coho salmon from the shore here. Surf fishing in Ca. is also fun, but I haven't really caught that many, mostly just a party. Pier fishing is fun with kids. They can run around more than they can on a boat. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give up the boat, but there are other methods too.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Fratalia17.. Would you tell us a general location where you might want to fish from land (example, South east, Florida), and perhaps species you'd like to target?... <br /> <br />Hopeless?... phoooey!...

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

The worst part of fishing from the shore here is when the party boat drifts by and snags your line :)

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Fishing from shore could be very productive!!!!<br />Like fishing from a boat, if you know where the spots are you will catch fish!!! Not everyboby does well from a boat!!!<br /><br />The only problem that I can see fishing from shore, is that you are limited where you can fish from!!! Around my way there is a lot of private land along the shore!!! Very little access!!! But there are still some good open rocky shore that you can fish from!!!!!<br /><br />Fish are only in 20% of the ocean and that ocean is very big!!!! ;) :cool:

ryandtc

Recruit

I do alot of surf fishing. I have caught a lot of fish in the process. The way I started was going to local bait shops and asking questions for spots to fish, what kinds of baits, etc.

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to page 2 of this forum and look under texas giant if you want to see what you can catch from shore. This is just one of the many fish and species we catch from the rocks, beach and bay without a boat.

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love my boat fishing but here in North Carolina some of the best fishing is done in the surf casting out to the breakers. Riding up and down the beach in your 4 wheel drive and picking out the right spot. Stop and grad you favorite surf casting rod usualy 10-15 ft load her up with shrimp and cast away. I love to go after labor day when the beaches are bare from swimmers and suffers and 4 wheel drives are allowed on the beach. Some of the most relaxing days of my life have been spent like this

BUBBLES II

Seaman Apprentice

Well said, REELSPORT. I got a nice striper Sunday off the beach. Fished all day, 'til sunset. Wonderful time in touch with the ocean, family.

rjohson

Cadet

will stipers hit shrimp? what other fish will hit shrimp? it seem this will be better than sand worms

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmm.<br /><br />MA, huh?<br /><br />I have caught many blues and stripers from rocks, etc.<br /><br />Some times and some places it beats boat fishing all to pieces.

BUBBLES II

Seaman Apprentice

In NJ, "live" surf clams are a favorite bait. There are clam and mussel beds right off many beaches. There are also runs of baitfish, herring and bunker (menhaden). Stripers have been caught this spring with bellies full of the smaller grass shrimp, found in the waters of the Delaware Bay. I've tried shrimp from the supermarket. Only got a few blues and small dogfish. A "blitz" of hundreds/thousands of birds and fish(stripers or blues) chasing bait onto the beach, striking every lure and bait in their path, is an experience you won't soon forget. People get on their cell phones, "Get over here!!"

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love to fish on land as well as the boat.Ive found great spots all around my area in Maryland(Eastern shore) that I go fish from shore and sometime take the boat to the same spot .Sounds silly but a boat is relaxing however it can be more work then fishing from the land sometimes. <br />Besides I can get drunk on the beach and not get my boat taken!!!!lol.

mattttt25

Commander

in mass? some of the largest striper are caught from the shore in mass, ny, and jersey. current world record striper was caught in jersey, from the shore.

Dead Eye

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about the Md. state record Striped Bass. <br />54" ,54lbl [or something like that, it is the largest caught in Md.] It was caught in the surf off Assateague Island. If you think that is not good fishing or it is worthless, you should take up golf. LOL<br /> Dead Eye

gaugeguy

Captain

Hit the tides correctly and look for those "rips" forming where baitfish get bunched up. Pitch in a live mackerel or herring (if you can get them) and get ready. I've caught hundreds of stripers from the boat that were within easy casting distance from the shore or jetties.