Is blown head gaskets a common problem on 3.0 OMC Cobra??

MrDumb

Seaman
I have a 1992 OMC Cobra with a 3.0 and discovered last night that the head gasket was the culprit of the problem. I was curious if this is a common problem with these engines when they get older. Also any suggestions as to anything else to look for when I have it all tore apart? And to prevent it from happening again. :confused:

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is blown head gaskets a common problem on 3.0 OMC Cobra??

Did you find it with a compression check? 2 cyl at equal pressure next to each other? yes farley common if overheated. find good machine shop have head checked for cracks, rarley happens with that one BUT!! and check for warpage and valve sealing it is off and a nother 100.00 wont hurt as bad as doing the job twice.

MrDumb

Seaman

No, actually I was running the boat down the lake wide open when it happened. I putted all the way back in to the ramp, which was quite aways from where it happened. I saw the head gasket was blown when I took off the exhaust manifold last night. I remember looking at the water temp and pressure when it happened and it looked normal?

mlslocks

Seaman Apprentice

How can you tell the head gasket is blown by taking off the manifold?

MrDumb

Seaman

When I took off the manifold you can see the gasket sticking out onthe back cyclinder. I mean it is really obvious that this is the problem.