Is battery jump starter powerful enough to start a 1997 Force 120?

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello Everyone,
Just another dumb question that if the battery is bad, is battery jump starter powerful enough to start a 1997 Force 120 motor? I used jump starter trying to start my motor, the starter engaged the flywheel but could only spin a few turns then disengaged and shut off. The motor couldn't fired up. I'm not sure if the battery is bad or not. The Voltage Meter is reading 8-10V without the jump starter connected. Thanks - Anthony:confused:

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is battery jump starter powerful enough to start a 1997 Force 120?

Not sure what you are calling a battery jump starter.( jump cart/charger with boost??)
As far as 8-10 volts on the battery is not enough. Charge it up. If it will not charge replace it. If it takes a charge and still will not turn over the motor then check all of your connections. If still in the same boat(lol) then get your battery load tested and replace if needed. :)

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class

... was a bad battery problem....

puddle jumper

Captain

Those battery jump packs are only good on batteries that are just under charge. It will not start a motor that has a bad battery as the battery will suck up all of the power from the jump pack

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Those battery jump packs are only good on batteries that are just under charge. It will not start a motor that has a bad battery as the battery will suck up all of the power from the jump pack
AGREED!!! I'm learning new things everyday.....

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

True, but the jumper pack can work in an emergency if you disconnect the battery and just clip the leads onto the battery cables. Make sure they are secure before you do much running, or moving. Not ideal, but it is a way to get home in a pinch.