is a thermostat neccesary?

TDuck

Cadet
i have 1995 45 hp evinrude, i was told that i clould take the thermostat out without any effect on the motor.....is this correct, or are there drawbacks?

D

DJ

Re: is a thermostat neccesary?

Trey Duck,<br /><br />I'm not trying to be smart here, but why would they go to all the hassle, and expense if it didn't perform a vital function.<br /><br />Without it, your engine will never reach the proper operating temperature. A cold running engine will die a slow death, just as sure as burning one up.

ledgefinder

Ensign

There's some debate on this one. Some experienced mechanics say too cold is as bad for your motor as too hot. Others will routinely pull them from old, salty motors to avoid the possibility of it sticking closed.<br /><br />I think it's safe to say it's best to maintain a good thermostat in the motor. You'll get better idle, more power, and probably less wear. Merc's didn't run them until the mid-1980s, but they do now.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Running without a thermostat can cause a poor idle at the least, or a scuffed piston, and damaged cylinder wall at the worst. With out a therostat, the engine can have a cold siesure, this is where the piston is running hot, and expanding, and the block is running cold. This usually happen's at idle. At full throttle the parts equal out, and engine has full coolant flow. If an engine overheats with the thermostats in, there is a restriction some where, or exhaust gasse's are leaking into system. Taking out the thermostats is just putting a band-aid on the problem.

woodshole

Seaman Apprentice

i believe thermostats are necessary because the water needs to move at the right speed or rate inorder to absorb the heat from the engine. to fast a flow the water does not have a chance to absorb adequate heat. i have had this experience on my 1988 88hp johnson.