Is a 2003 Zodiac MK2C worth it?

sckevyn

Recruit
I've been looking at getting a SIB for awhile, and have the oportunity to get a 2003 MK2C for $800.

Is this worth it? I know it's almost a 9 year old boat. It looks like it has been stored most of its life.. the red.. is still very very red. What should I look out for when purchasing a used SIB like this one? It doesn't have oars or a pump, he lost them a few years ago in a move and hasn't used it since.

I had been thinking of saving up and getting a Saturn 12 foot model when I could afford it, so torn between an obviously higher quality boat with unknown issues or a new boat for $400 more.

He sent me this picture, he inflated it with a shop vac.

5Nd5K75F43E33G13Ldc9cf789ae070ade1e79[1].jpg

Kevyn

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is a 2003 Zodiac MK2C worth it?

The glue will be failing soon. Are you prepared to spend 30+ hours fixing it yourself? If not an older used boat is not for you. The PVC tubes are thermo welded and will not fail, but the glue parts, like the floor, seem to only be good for around 10 years.

The price is probably a little high for the age of the boat. Make him an offer of $350 explaining the glue failure and costs associated with repairs vs buying new. You will not get it for $350 but maybe somewhere around $500 so if you got a few years out of it, then it would be worth it.

sckevyn

Recruit
Re: Is a 2003 Zodiac MK2C worth it?

I told him basically everything mentioned and he laughed and said well that would be why in 4 months trying to sell it no one even asked about it.... said make him an offer.

So I tossed out an offer, I imagine if I get it I have one hell of a learning curve coming up =]

Kevyn

The glue will be failing soon. Are you prepared to spend 30+ hours fixing it yourself? If not an older used boat is not for you. The PVC tubes are thermo welded and will not fail, but the glue parts, like the floor, seem to only be good for around 10 years.

The price is probably a little high for the age of the boat. Make him an offer of $350 explaining the glue failure and costs associated with repairs vs buying new. You will not get it for $350 but maybe somewhere around $500 so if you got a few years out of it, then it would be worth it.