Is a 1989 Evinrude 120 VRO a good motor?

97MACHZ

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All, I'm looking at an 18 foot aluminum fish and ski boat with a 1989 Evinrude VRO 120. The boat and trailer are in good shape and the motor seems to be as well. Compression is 135-140 all cylinders, water pumps well, and it shifts properly (haven't tested it under load yet).<br />I'm wondering if this egine type has a good track record. <br />Does anyone know of specific types of problems that these motors have OR are there any real drawbacks to these motors?<br />Any information or stories, good or bad are appreciated. :p

Walker

Captain
Re: Is a 1989 Evinrude 120 VRO a good motor?

Big Bore Looper. Great motor. Mucho torque.

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

My '86 140 I believe is basically the same motor with a different set of carbs. Overall I'm happy with my motor....been having some carb troubles of late, but I think that could happen with pretty much any motor with a carb in it.<br /><br />As Walker noted, plenty of torque. Unfortunately, the torque means it sucks plenty of gas too. Although I'd rather that than give up that extra power.<br /><br />If you go for it, and the VRO is still hooked up, check the VRO pump and replace if original. I think the orginals had a brown elbow coming out of the pump, where as the new improved ones are grey. You don't want the pump giving up on you while out on the water. <br /><br />If unfamiliar with VRO, just type it into the search bar at the top of the page...you'll have enough reading re the pros/cons to keep you going for days.<br /><br />Good luck!!<br /><br />Brew

TOOSTROKIN

Seaman Apprentice

GREAT MOTORS. I HAVE HAD A 90 MODEL 140 LOOPER FOR 7 YRS NOW AND STILL RUNS GREAT. ONLY PROBLEM WAS THE VRO GOING OUT ONCE AND A POWER PACK GONE BAD. OTHERWISE A GREAT RUNNING MOTOR. 1100 HRS AND GOIN STRONG. THEY DO USE QUITE A BIT OF FUEL ESPECIALLY AT HIGHER RPM.