Is 85hp Force motors any good?

mater86

Recruit
I am considering buying a 88 glastron boat with a 1985 85 hp force motor on it. The seller says the motor works excellent. The boat is in decent shape. He's asking $1700.00. I live in Wisconsin. My neighbor said to stay away from Chryser motors. Can anyone give me an opinion if these motors are bad or not? Thank you.

RRitt

Captain
Re: Is 85hp Force motors any good?

They run noisy and get gas bad mileage but last forever because they are about as complicated as a big lawnmower engine. Fewer gadgets and no injectors means fewer things to break. It also means having to mix oil, getting bad gas mileage, running noisy, and sometimes cranky about cold starts.<br /><br />If you buy parts off ebay and take care of it then it will cost you about the same as your lawnmower to maintain. It will turn out to be the cheapest and most durable engine you can get.<br /><br />On the other hand, if you don't take care of it and/or don't do your own repairs then it isn't a very good engine. Mechanics will not want to work on it and will tend to do sloppy work. They will order their repair parts from mercury - many of which are "no longer available". Mercury will charge them $100 for every lockwasher and the cost will be passed on to you. In this case it will turn out to be unreliable and expensive.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

mater - Grab a cup of your favorite beverage - go to the red search at the top of the page and enter "force" or "chrysler". You have some reading to do.<br /><br />Of course the seller says the motor works excellent. How is he going to get your money from your pocket to his by telling you otherwise. On the price - here in Miami $1,700.00 for that rig would be called by some as attemped rape.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check the floor of the boat as they tend to be a problem, in older glastrons.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I had a (new) 45 hp Chrysler on a 16' boat and it was obviously under powered.<br /><br />I traded for a (new) 85 hp which had plenty of power. But as mentioned, the thing was a gas guzzler. Now this was in the late '60's when the engine was cross flow fuel charged.<br /><br />If the Force of the '80's became loop charged, then the fuel problem I mention would be significantly mitigated.<br /><br />The other problem I had with the 85 was the way they designed the prop, but Force uses Merc props and they don't have that problem.<br /><br />I had no mechanical problems with either but they weren't sleek. As I recall West Bend made motors and went out of business to Chrysler who marketed boats (they built) and motors (which we had) who went out of business and so Brunswick tried their hand at it.<br /><br />What I thought was stupid was the fact that the Force had a typical early version of the exhaust outlet but used the Merc thru hub props....that had no exhaust going thru the hub so there must have been some drag off that prop with that big blunt end and no exhaust to fill it......when they were gold and white (Chrysler) they had a nice bullet shaped hub to reduce that drag, same location for and type of exhaust. I guess Brunswick knew more than Chrysler......<br /><br />My 2c,<br /><br />Mark

RRitt

Captain

they still guzzle gas. I got twin 1988 85's and only get about 3 miles per gallon pushing a 2500lb 21footer v-hull. I never use trim because the boat goes plenty fast enough and the ride is smoother if I dig a deeper groove in the water. That probably cuts down gas mileage some. I used to live in the southwest cape which took 30 minutes of idle speed to reach open water. Was only getting about 2mpg overall then. So "no wake" is probably less than 1mpg.<br /><br />maybe someone can answer ... what kind of mpg do you get with twin four strokes pushing a 20ft fishing boat?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Parts can be a problem.Merc announced sometime ago they were stopping production of Force parts.<br /> If you check here at Iboats for Force parts I think you will find it limited.If you check Evinrude/Johnson parts You will find lots.<br /> Even NAPA auto parts carries E/J parts back to the 1950s.Some 60 pages.Chrysler/Force about 6 pages.Unfortunately some branches don't know about their 600 page marine products catalog.<br /> Then there is the resale value.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

""The seller says the motor works excellent.""<br /><br />Then why is he selling it ? :) <br /><br />Stay away from Force motors older than 1992, and be warey of the newer ones.<br /><br />Better yet, wait a month and you will have more boats on the market and more to choose from. Then you can buy one with a Merc, Evinrude, or Johnson.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

force<br />f= *ucking<br />o= old<br />r= recycled<br />c= chyrsler<br />e= engine<br />enough said

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

RRitt; a looper will get you 2:1. Dunno about a 4 cycle, but according to the rumors, may get you another 2:1.<br /><br />Mark