Is 17 feet to small for around the keys

koberlee

Seaman
Is a 17 foot boat with a 140 horse I/O to small of a boat to cruise around the keys with.
We do not plan on making any long journeys just tooling around the area and do some fishing and see the reefs.
thanks

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Is 17 feet to small for around the keys

No, not at all. HOWEVER - a word of caution. Watch the weather really close, especially in the afternoon. Keep off of the sea grass ( big fine ) and just don't wander any further than you feel comfortable.
Are you trailering down for a vacation? If so, where you headed for? :confused:

koberlee

Seaman

Thanks for the vote of confidence
It looks like knowing that our boat is going to work down there we are going to be staying on Cudjoe Key over Christmas.
It is by far the longest I have ever towed my boat.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Going in December then don't worry too much about any ole' storms. Thought you were heading down in the next couple of weeks or so.
The "winter" season can still get a bit on the chilly side down here as well. Your biggest concern will now be with the winds and the chop it kicks up. It can go from pancake flat to three feet in an hour or less. The gulf side isn't as bad but it still can get snotty at times.
But there's nothing like a boat in the Keys. Sorta' like a pizza without cheese - just crazy!
P.S. Where you guys coming from?

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with gc, you should be fine as long as you don't venture too far from shore and keep your eyes out on the weather. Don't know about it gettin chilly down there, though. You will be just south of Bahia Honda, where we go from time to time to camp. There is a great public ramp and beach just north of Bahia Honda State Park. It is free and lets you out of a protective cove and into some really beautiful water.
Always be mindful of the depth. As clear as the water is, looks much more shallow than really is.
Have your cameras ready, if you know what I mean. :)

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Rick,

Chilly to me is anything below 70f. :eek::D

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Gotcha, GC! He never did say where he was coming from. Mentioned towin his boat a long way. Just figured he is one of our Northern friends who wouldn't even break out a long sleeve shirt down there.
Yeah, get me out there with a breeze and around 70 and I'm lookin for momma to help warm me. ( I can say that here can't I???) :eek:

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Geez, Bubba, don't scare the guy away...

You might be thinking of the National Marine Sanctuary, which include most of the coral reefs, but not all of the Keys.

Actually the coral reefs are protected. And there was a freighter that grounded a few years ago and he was fined $10k however there are many places to ground (beach) your boat.

Also over those reefs, such as Pennecamp, Biscayne and others there are mooring buoys to prevent boaters from dropping their anchors.

And would surely like to think his CG gear is already up to date.

Anyway, here is alink to the sanctuary...

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/Fish/SouthFlorida/coral/conservation.html

koberlee

Seaman

We are trailering Down from Kalamazoo, MI leaving the day after christmas.
We have a place at the venture out resort on cudjoe key where we can dock the boat right out our back door.

I am all up to date on the coast guard safety regs since Lake Michigan is a federaly controlled water way and under coast guard control.

Thanks to every one for all the advise I am pumped to come down there and if it is above 65deg it will feel like a heat wave compared to Michigan in December/January