Is 16ft open bow v hull for ocean fishing.

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi I want to take boat out to catch some red snapper, sand bass all those fish. will my boat be ok to take out to the huntingtong flats out of Los alamitos bay. worried about sinking lol honest people thanks

sasto

Captain
Re: Is 16ft open bow v hull for ocean fishing.

Personally? I've never worried about sinking. If ya are? Please don't go till your not worried.

Little boats....big boats....no matter the size. Know your comfort level. and go for it!

kfa4303

Banned

+1. Your boat won't know if you're in 2 ft., or 200 ft. of water. Here's a great article for taking relatively small craft off shore. Folks do it all the time around here (FL/Gulf coast) in boats that are redorkulously tiny. Like jon boat out to oil rig tiny :/ Be sure you check the weather, then check the weather , then check the weather, but if you have a nice clear day, go for it! Tell somebody your float plan, triple check everything on the motor, safety equipment and all that good stuff, but it should otherwise be a grand adventure. Here's a cool article about this very topic. Keep us posted.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/boats/boating-skills/little-boats-big-sea

P.S.
Hope all is well SASTO.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

The California coast line is a lot different than the East Coast. The shelf is in tight and that causes a different kind of swell. I had a buddy that was an experienced ocean fisherman come back scared to death on a clear day with what started out as very calm seas. Unfortunately he didn't pay attention to the tide and it was a big one that caused large enough swells to the point his engine was completely out of the water on his Trophy. I think he said it's 27'. He had really bad control issues and he almost lost it a couple of times. The coast line out of Long Beach isn't as bad because the Shelf extends a little further out. I've been out there on a little bigger boat (USS New Jersey BB-62) and never had a problem :) I don't think I'd take my 16' Jetcraft out there but I'd take my 22' North River out if it didn't have that Salt Water alergic 502 in it.

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well mine deep v hull I seen aluminum boats out their when I was at a charter

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just want fish as soon as I see it getting crazy I'm out lol I'm going tomorrow I'll keep posted in my iPhone how it goes

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm not planning go way off shore just to flats California. I can still see land. By way does anyone know how far in mile is hungtinton flats area from shore. Anyone California

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh yea I'm going Wednesday now

eoitker

Seaman Apprentice

I just came back from a vacation in Gulf Shores, AL. While there I went fishing on the Gulf of Mexico. I was shocked to see guys out fishing in 14' flat bottom Jon boats! I know it's not the same as the Huntington Flats but if they can do it, you can too.
Have Fun and be safe!

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm back safe! I took my boat out from alamitos bay long beach headed out soon as I exited break wall took it easy felt cool then I got use to it and gave it more and more gas to see how well the boat handled agains the waves and the lil 16 v hull did its job very well going threw waves man I felt so conterble that I was pretty close to Catalina island. I cruised to hungtington area flats and my gage was still full tank gas. damn I love the 2.5 mercruiser. I got a lot San dabs and 2 sand bass saw a lot whales circling boat (scary) and dolphins. great experience I'm addicted now. thanks guys for support.

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm back safe! I took my boat out from alamitos bay long beach headed out soon as I exited break wall took it easy felt cool then I got use to it and gave it more and more gas to see how well the boat handled agains the waves and the lil 16 v hull did its job very well going threw waves man I felt so conterble that I was pretty close to Catalina island. I cruised to hungtington area flats and my gage was still full tank gas. damn I love the 2.5 mercruiser. I got a lot San dabs and 2 sand bass saw a lot whales circling boat (scary) and dolphins. great experience I'm addicted now. thanks guys for support.

Glad it all worked out, the more you do it the more you'll realize how much that boat can really take. My 17ft alum. rearely see's a lake.

Also, I'm no english teacher, but a few more comma's and periods in your post would make it a lot easier to read. Just my 2cents.

Austin

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yea, sometimes I just go threw it fast. Lol

eoitker

Seaman Apprentice

Way to go, I'm glad it all worked out!