iron duke

jsimms724

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can some one here tell me what a iron duke engine is as it relates to marine use. if you google it it refers you to a early 80 s pontiac .As far as boats go I hear the term all the time I think every boat that is for sale with a 4 cylinder the seller says its an iron duke (they cant all be) I understand they are well built and almost bullet proof but what specific engine is it? thank in advance

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: iron duke

The Iron Duke was the somewhat (depending on your personal perspective) affectionate name given to the line of 2.5 liter (151ci) engines produced by GM from the late 70's to the late 80's. It was used predominantly in the Chevy Celebrity, Buick Skylark, Olds Cutlass Calais, Pontiac Fiero, Pontiac 6000 and S-10 pickup.

The "marine" version of that engine is not an off the shelf Chevy 2.5L 4-banger. I cannot give you all of the particulars of why, but the folks who have these engines in their boats are probably old enough to remember those cars, and thus began the somewhat incorrect notion of calling them The Iron Dukes of the boating world.

I have owned a number of the above cars and also a boat with that engine. Yes, they are hard to kill, and very cheap to operate and repair. If you can find one in a boat you like that appears to be in good condition...it's a no-brainer. VERY easy to service! Just don't expect neck-snapping acceleration or triple digit speeds...from the cars or boats! :D

Bondo

Staff member

Can some one here tell me what a iron duke engine is as it relates to marine use. if you google it it refers you to a early 80 s pontiac .As far as boats go I hear the term all the time I think every boat that is for sale with a 4 cylinder the seller says its an iron duke (they cant all be) I understand they are well built and almost bullet proof but what specific engine is it? thank in advance

Ayuh,.... There ain't been, 'n never will be an "Iron Duke" in a boat,....

The motor used in boats is a Chevy, 153cid, 2.5l motor...

The "Iron Duke" is a Pontiac, GM Corporate motor, 151cid, 2.5l motor, used in cars, 'n trucks...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The TERM Iron Duke did NOT originate in any of the above cars. It was introduced as the Iron Duke in the 1977 Pontiac Astre which was the same car as the Chevy Vega and its variations. In an effort to distance itself from the problematic 140 aluminum engine, Pontiac developed the Iron Duke for the 1977 model year. That happened to be the last year for the Vega but the Iron Duke engine was carried on in other vehicles (the Chevy Monza for example) on the same platform until 1980. From the 1971 through 1977 model years the Vega ran a 140 cubic inch (2.3L) aluminum block/iron single overhead cam engine fitted with either a single or two barrel carb. A Cosworth dual overhead cam engine with four valves per cylinder was an option in some years. I owned a 1972 Vega Kammback wagon that I bought brand new for $2200. Big engine (use the term loosely), four speed with 3:36 gears. Put 100,000 miles on the car, then dropped a 283 with a Power Glide in it an put on another 10,000. I sold the car to a buddy for $1300 and he sold it to another buddy when his daughter dropped it into a water filled hole, punched a hole in the oil pan and drove home with no oil after the car was extracted from the hole. . As bad a reputation as that car had, it was without a doubt provided the lowest cost of ownership of any car I ever owned. Just a little history lesson for those who weren't around in the 70's (or before).

Brewman61

Ensign

I had the misfortune of owning a 1973 Vega with that nightmarish 140 CID engine.
The original owner had it equipped with both air conditioning AND the THD 350 automatic. What a dog.
And crappy MPG, don't think I got much more than 17 mpg.
I also owned a 1980 Pontiac Sunbird wih the Iron Duke 2.5L. The car itself was slightly better than the Vega, but the engine
was much more reliable. Except when I had to replace a shattered rotor in the middle of a below zero January cold wave. They absolutely buried the distributor on this car, I had to do the job more by feel then by sight. Other than that the engine was fine.
The car ate clutches at a remarkable rate, not sure why.
Cars made now are soooooo much better than what we had in 1970's small cars.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Cars made now are soooooo much better than what we had in 1970's small cars.

Lol!!
You're preachin' to the choir there!
My first car was a '73 Hornet...complete with cool hornet thingy on gas cap, no power steering, AM radio, rich "corinthian pleather"(sorry...I know that was the Chrysler Cordoba, but you get the drift!), and best of all...got to replace fan belts on a regular basis!

Kids nowdays don't know what they missed!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And on the other hand, my Vega was absolutely reliable. 1 rear axle seal, one starter, one timing belt, a battery that blew up and a water pump in 100,000 miles. The engine itself was never touched. 23 - 24 MPG was about as high as I could milk of the old girl, but with 3.36:1 gears it was spinning at 3000 rpm most of the time. Those 13 inch tires spin a bunch over the course of a mile. I actually owned three Vegas and my brother in CO had three in the family. All had V8 transplants out of "fun" rather than necessity. The trick (at least in my view) was to break in the car from new as follows:

1) Get out of sight of the dealership.
2) Hammer down (often)
3) No issues.

Brewman61

Ensign

A Vega with a V8 would be like a baby Camaro. The car actually didn't look too bad to me. Just not a good winter car, body integrity was terrible, you could actually see rust forming on the thing, and our salty MN winters didn't help. I believe the running joke at the time was that the cars started rusting while sitting on the sales floor. I also recall a rather wasteful air filter, couldn't open the cannister to replace the filter element, was supposed to buy a brand new fully sealed metal cannister from the Chevy dealership. Genuine GM parts for my Genuine GM car were a bit on the spendy side for a perpetually broke minimum wage chasing highschool kid.

Fishin Magician

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I have a couple of motors that are refferred to as " Iron horse " mercury's.............monster 4.5 hp outboards.... Built for saltwater...so I've read....thats all I can dredge up on these beautities...anyway.. love them and use one everyday on the Hudson River....

TilliamWe

Banned

Ayuh,.... There ain't been, 'n never will be an "Iron Duke" in a boat,....

The motor used in boats is a Chevy, 153cid, 2.5l motor...

The "Iron Duke" is a Pontiac, GM Corporate motor, 151cid, 2.5l motor, used in cars, 'n trucks...

This is the answer you need right here, jsimms.

Thalasso

Commander

Lol!!
You're preachin' to the choir there!
My first car was a '73 Hornet...complete with cool hornet thingy on gas cap, no power steering, AM radio, rich "corinthian pleather"(sorry...I know that was the Chrysler Cordoba, but you get the drift!), and best of all...got to replace fan belts on a regular basis!

Kids nowdays don't know what they missed!

Man, I thought you were going to reference the Hudson Hornet.(flat head v8) They quit making them in the early 50's