IPS, What is it? Who has the info?

seabuddy7

Cadet
I am hearing about a new drive system called by the letters IPS. Anyone got answers or a link to some info?

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: IPS, What is it? Who has the info?

Go to Volvo Penta's website. It stands for Inboard Performance System and is a radical new IB setup that looks like forward-pointing outdrives on the bottom of the boat.<br /><br />
335x150_IPS_400500.jpg

SeaHorse

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boating Magazine had a blurb this month.<br /><br />Boatingmag.com<br /><br />It's only for boats 36 to 52 feet or so.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Saw one at the Miami Boat Show on Monday. It was in an out of the way booth which is rather odd if it is supposed to be a radically new technology. Kinda reminded me of OMC's old sail drive - through the hull. Quite large though. I didn't get any info so can't really add much.

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

Trailer Boats magazine also did an article on it in their March 2005 issue.

Realgun

Commander

I don't know if I like it as if you hit something you will hit prop first. And you could crack the hull badly if you hit it to hard I think. I read the article it was good. Said can turn very tighly, gets better fuel economy, and top speed was faster. Does not interest me as I can't trailer it. :D

Paul Moir

Admiral

I wonder what purpose the skeg serves? It seems to me they did away with them on Saildrives.

walleyehed

Admiral

skeg contact providing some small amount of protection for the 700.00 each props?????

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For those fortunate enough to have great water depth, and deep pockets, it's probably ideal. For the rest of us... Who knows...Probably won't see any in Minnesota. :) <br /><br />I am certain there are good boats, better, because of it. But I don't think it's for everyone. I am looking forward to my turn at the wheel of one though. Plus... those Volvo diesels are da bomb! Even without the IPS.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the artical I read on it stated it was for large boats. I would guess trailering wouldn't come into it. I would also think that you aren't going to be going too shallow, or running up any creeks in the size boats that this thing is aimed at.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I'll bet it realizes every bit of the success that the Force L-Drive enjoyed. :rolleyes:

Billnicole

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I saw a video on this. It showed a guy backing it his slip and they commented on how easy it was and how well the boat handled

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

at first read of the topic I thought it was refering to Lunds' IPS (Integrated Power Strake) hull design thats been around for a few years now..<br /><br />guess not .. but, the above is something different for sure!<br /><br />don't know what to think about it.. :confused:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/20041101132742mbynews.html <br /><br />
We now come to what looks like the IPS's Achilles heel: what happens if you hit an underwater obstruction.<br /><br />In the high-speed scenario, the leg and pod will shear off flush with the hull. The lower bearing carrier has been engineered specially to break at a point below the O-ring seal between the fixed and steerable parts of the drive. As the leg bends backwards, the vertical drive shaft simply pulls out of its spline. The inside of the transmission is now open to the ocean but no water can escape into the boat and the vital mounting joint between transmission and hull will remain not only intact but undamaged thanks to the energy absorption of the big twin O-rings.
"In the high-speed scenario, the leg and pod will shear off flush with the hull" HELLO? :confused: <br /><br />$cha-ching$

Twidget

Commander

I cant afford to read that quote. :eek:

Paul Moir

Admiral

Oh, cool - the skedge cause the drive to be put in neutral in the case of a low speed grounding according to snapperbait's link. Pretty nifty!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

You betcha! Nothing like suddenly relieving the load with the throttles wide open in a high speed incident. Methinks the drive isn't going to be the only major expense when a drive shears off. :eek:

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's why every smart boat owner has insurance.