ipod hook up?

i bought a q4 and it comes with a ipod hook up (i forgot to ask the guy abou it) i can i hook up my ipod to the stereo and what do i need

KRS

Banned
Re: ipod hook up?

Why would you need blaring music on a boat?

(quiet boater here) 8)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If the stereo has a hook up for an mp3 player, it just plugs in, with a mini headphone plug, or a usb cable. Check the stereo to see what is equipped with. Some stereos require an adaptor to plug the mp3 player into.

I prefer to keep my ipod in a waterproof case.
And we listen to it with wireless (bluetooth) headphones.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

we have one on the Chris Craft, has a cool little holder that plugs into the cigarette lighter, and you tune the radio to the correct station, also have the portable sirus radio that does the same thing. no direct connection with the radio.

salty87

Commander

i haven't looked at mine in a while but i think i ran rca cables to my amp. i can't play cd's or listen to the radio but then again i'm not bringing any cd's if i have the ipod and stereo reception can be spotty. i also plug it into cig lighter.

Surge

Seaman Apprentice

just read this and i did something similar with mine.let us know what brand and model number stereo u have and we can help you. And if it's stock you might have to check the back to see if it has an RCA called "input" or "Aux" you can use that if it does. Give us more info please.

kengladd

Seaman

Mine came with an ipod hook-up. I just had to get a cord that had mini headphone jacks on each end and change the stereo mode to ipod.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Check Crutchfield. If they don't have what you need it isn't made.

D

DJ

By all means, check your stereo to see if it has an "Aux" input. That is the best way to hook it up. Most are small headphone type jacks. Some are USB.

I also have a portable Sirius unit. The issue with these (or anything that goes externally through the radio receiver) is that you get "mono" only, not stereo.

My truck has a factory "input" jack right in the dash. The ipod plugs right in and sounds great.