ipilot - set up for i-pilot

Wildfury

Cadet
Hey all, just purchased a new 2013 Crestliner fish hawk.

I'm considering purchasing a 858c HD DI Combo and I-pilot Terrova motor.
Can someone tell me if I can use all the options with just this unit or must I have two.

For example, I'd like use some options like down imaging off the main transducer in the
rear. Other like like following contour lines or spot lock feature.

Dealer wants to mount the 858 on the bow but I'd like to have it on the console.
Is there any way to switch between the main transducer and the built in one the
motor has for the i-pilot?

Any information on set-up is much appreciated. Dealer is looking into whether on not the unit itself
can take two transducer cables and switch back and forth. I simply can't afford two of
these units.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: ipilot - set up for i-pilot

I don't think the trolling motor has a DI transducer built into it. But how about this:

Mount the DI transducer on the transom and the HB on the console and use it to locate fish. When you find them move the HB to the bow on a second FF mount and connect the TM built-in transducer to pin point the fish and start catching. That should work.

And call HB customer service. I think they are pretty good. I don't blame you for not wanting to drop more $$$ on a second unit unless you are a pro.

Wildfury

Cadet

Dealer said moving it back and forth would be trouble. HB customer service could be a good try. I just thought I'd try to talk to guys who have already done a set up. Seems crazy to need two. The one I want is a thousand bucks and the trolling motor for the i-pilot is another 12 to 15 hundred. Seems that there should be a way without spending another thousand on a second unit. crazy. And since I also intend to get the navionics, seems insane to put it on the bow.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think your dealer wants to sell you another $1000 unit. Just think how many FFs are removed from boats at the end of every fishing trip. I wouldn't leave mine in unless the boat was in the garage. And even then I wouldn't leave them in if I was stopping for breakfast on the way to the lake, They come out too easy by design.

Wildfury

Cadet

Could be, but he didn't try. Instead he wants to mount it on the bow. Other threads on sites such as walleye central complained about the lame HB connections and stated that they didn't like to remove theirs either. I don't know enough. Trying to figure out a set up.

Wildfury

Cadet

Humminbird explanation. I figured this out myself. Thought I add these links for anyone else who may have the same question.

Humminbird: America