IOS new prop

Looking to purchase a new prop for my 1993 Four Winns 190 Horizon. 5.0 efi motor. Specs for boat says 42-4600 rpm range pushing a whopping 200hp. Had the boat on the water now for 5 years and haven’t changed the prop the boat came with 3 blade 14.25 x 19 pitch aluminum prop. If I’m not parked relaxing at a sand bar, I’m pulling tubes. Usually have a full boat. Last year was the first time I’ve ever expierence the problem which I’m trying to fix. 5 people on the boat. 2 in the bow. 3 at the stern. Attempting to pull 2 people on a single tube. Boat couldn’t get out of plain and overheated. Dropped off people at the sand bar went out with just myself a spotter and the 2 tubers, had no over heating issues at all. Drove the boat 5 hours after that without a problem. Got home pulled the water pump out of the outdrive and it was perfect. I replace it yearly as maintenance. Without anyone behind the boat I can do 40mph at approx. 4600rpm according to the great oem gauges. Pulling a tuber I typically cannot get over 35mph maxed out rpm. I would like to get a perfect all around prop for my boat. If anyone has any recommendations I’m all ears. Rather buy a prop people have had good luck and experiences with than the guess and check route.

1) Performance issue you are trying to correct. Being able to pull tubers with a full boat.
2) Current prop: aluminum.
3) Current prop diameter and pitch: 14.25 x 19
4) Wide open throttle RPM and speed with an average load: 4500
5) Engine/drive make, model, year, and HP: 93 ford 5.0 efi motor with cobra outdrive. 200hp. Omc cobra outdrive
6) Boat make model, year, length and weight: 1993 four winns 190 horizon. 19ft + 1ft swimming platform. 3200lbs

alldodge

Staff member
Opinion: this is mine others will differ, just wait

The motor does not have enough power to do what you want for the load placed on it. Reducing load by off loading folks and running with less weight works.

To fix you either need more HP or less pitch prop. Reducing pitch from lets say 19P to 17P will give the boat a easier time pulling a heavier load. Same thing happens when a car shifts to lower gear.

If you go to 17P you need to watch the Tachometer and make sure not to let motor exceed max RPM's.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I agree with AD. you need more power with a boat load of people, or you need to have a lower pitch prop.

I would recommend a 17p for when you are pulling tubes.

for example, on my 3.0 powered boat, I carried 3 props. a 19p stainless, a 17p stainless and 15p stainless. the 19p was for two people cruising a long distance. the 17p was a general all-around prop. the 15p was for water sports and trolling

another thing that would help would be trim tabs. for those times when you want a boat load of people and are trying to pull a tube up, have the tabs down a bit to extend your hull running surface

Should I stick with a 3 blade? Keep the 14.25” or go to 14”. Is the Volvo sx drive a better drive than the cobra? A buddy of mine as a 1996 180 w/ford 5.0 and sx drive parts boat. Was considering swapping drives if it was beneficial to me

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The SX Drive doesn't have a Raw Water Pump in it. So it is not an easy swap.