Intrument/Dash Panel Replacement

rainbow

Cadet
Does anyone know what resources are available for replacing the instrument panel? I have a 1988 Regal with a cracked panel and would like to replace it with aluminum or somehting stiffer than the original material.<br /><br />Someone may have found a good source for either custom hole (gauge/switch placement) and engraving/lettering capabilities or true replacement panels.<br /><br />Thanks

diamonddave

Seaman
Re: Intrument/Dash Panel Replacement

I recently replaced the panels in my 1976 Pacemaker. I layed out the panels as I wanted to see them then had a digital supply house output onto lexan film in reverse and laminated onto any material you desire, my choice was black acrylic that was then drilled out to accept switches as required. If you need more info let me know.<br /><br />Regards

rainbow

Cadet

Yes - I would like some more information and details and a how to overview. Did you use a local vendor or someone that I could use via mail order? What program did you use to create the digital data? What file format was it? ......<br /><br />Sounds like you wnet through exactly what I am attempting. Thanks for the reply and any other information you can provide.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Glenn

diamonddave

Seaman

Art was layed out in Corel 9, any half-decent graphics package you have should do. Next is a visit to a sign shop or graphics house, ask them if they can output onto Lexan film. If yes, find out what format they need/want. Don't forget that the image must be reversed because it will be printed on the back of the film to protect it from scratching. Next take your old pane; to a plastics shop and have them cut/router a new panel using the old one as a template, you should use white acrylic or lexan, so that the colours on the new dash will be vibrant. Once you have the acrylic/lexan return to the sign shop and have them laminate the film to the new panel. I am located in souhwestern Ontario and have a pretty good handle on suppliers around here, not sure where you are or what the resources are, I'd be happy to share more if you need it.<br /><br />Good luck

rainbow

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I will try some shops nearby. Did you laminate on top of the Lexan? Was that for UV protection? I might use Starboard as the new panel - any suggestions?<br /><br />Thanks again

diamonddave

Seaman

The Lexan film has UV inhibitors in it. Be sure to use the film with a textured finish, this hides scratches and fingerprints. Starboard should work fine, the laminating procedure is a cold process. Good luck

rainbow

Cadet

Just so I understand - could you explain the laminating process? And as I venture into this could you give me a rough idea of the total cost (cost for the Lexan work and cost for the panel work)?<br /><br />Thanks