Introducing Me and My Motor

jcorrigan

Cadet
Good Day All,

Thought I'd introduce myself - Joe from Gananoque, Ontario Canada. Found this site after looking online for a manual for my new purchase. I've just bought my first boat to putt putt around here and there around the 1000 Islands. The outboard is a 1974 (I believe) 25HP Evinrude TwinSpeed and the boat is probably around the same year - Tri Hull.

Haven't even gotten around to sitting with the boys and having a few wobbly pops to name her yet.

From everything I've read I'll be referring here often for answers

photo.php

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Introducing Me and My Motor

Ahoy, Joe.

Welcome to iboats. :)

jasper60103

Commander

Welcome aboard, Joe.

I have a putt putt rig myself. Just a 25hp and 16' tinnie to fish with.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome aboard Joe.

I'm jealous, you are in the nicest part of the St. Lawrence.

Moody Blue

Captain

Hey Joe, congrats on your new toy.

You won't find a better boating resource anywhere. People here are great and always ready to offer advice and information and a few laughs along the way.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome Aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to the wonderful world of life-altering boating! We all hope you'll wonder why you had not found it sooner. If you're completely new to boating there is more to learn that you realize and your safety is paramount. Don;t underestimate anything. Your equipment is vitally important, but so is your education. If you have family or friends who are seasoned boaters, have them go with you before venturing out alone for the 1st time. You'll learn alot. Take a structured boating course (here the US Coast Guard sponsors them). Boating may all sound elementary, but is a serious sport and one we hope you'll love, but by all means prepare yourself properly for it.

Captain Chris

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Welcome. Look forward to reading your posts. How about some photos of your new outfit ?? We love photos don't we guys and gals :D:D:D

jcorrigan

Cadet

Welcome. Look forward to reading your posts. How about some photos of your new outfit ?? We love photos don't we guys and gals :D:D:D

Perfect here's a couple from the maiden launch!

Right now everything is perfect! Of course I haven't launched the boat or started it up...but ignorance is bliss!
attachment.php

Coming back from a successful first run...not quite sure what I was thinking..maybe I'm about to joust with someone...
attachment.php

Attachments

• 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 0

Johnbrew

Cadet

The first step is allways the hardest,practice-practice, know the rules and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

jcorrigan

Cadet

The first step is allways the hardest,practice-practice, know the rules and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear you...I've had it out a second time and learned several more rules than what was covered in the boaters course:

1) When passing by a fellow boater in a smaller boat..that's when your engine will die

2) There's a reason most people don't launch until May..the water is REALLY cold

3) That drop off where I launched the boat is actually 2 inches deeper than my chest waders will reach (see #2)

4) I now know what a 'spun prop' is.

I'm having a blast...just taking baby steps for now. I spend more time launching and loading than actual boating for now. Really just getting some practice and feeling out the boat. I want to be comfortable with it before I take it out on the St. Lawrence.

That should be the REAL adventure!

saumon

Lieutenant

Don't forget to read a few posts from the SHT section (Stupid Human Tricks), that may save you a couple of headaches (like the infamous forgotten drain plug or transom straps)!

Oh, BTW, i also cruise the St-Lawrence but farther east (Montreal area). Nice to have a kicker in case of an emergency (i.e. main engine die) if you don't want to drift downstream with the current.