Intro and shifting question

kc95gt

Cadet
I've been cruising the forums here for a couple months and decided to finally join. I bought a 94 VIP Vision 1930 a year and a half ago. I put a wakeboard tower, a 4 blade prop, and did a little bit of upholstery work, and we were out wakeboarding almost every weekend last summer. The only issue I have with it (besides having to replace the starter midsummer) is some shifting issues which may be related.
First, the shifting and throttle is very stiff in both directions. I've oiled the cable and the shifter itself with no luck. The cable moved easily when unhooked from the carb and drive, but maybe it's just dragging under load? Should I just replace the cable or could there be something else I need to check?
Second, when shifting into gear, if I don't shift quickly, you can hear the gears grinding. If you move the shifter somewhat quickly it just clicks into gear, but if you move it slowly, you can hear them grinding until you move it far enough for them to catch. Is this normal? FYI, it's a mercruiser 4.3

Thanks

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Intro and shifting question

Welcome Aboard..

Others far schmarter than I will come along...

However a few things come to mind.

1. Do you have the OEM manual? If not, get yours here
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=1693398#post 1693398

2. May as well replace the cables, dont think ya oil em, you replace them.
There is also very specific instructions for adjusting them..Which sounds like your shifting grinding issue.

Good luck, these guys are a good group to ask questions of.

Bondo

Staff member

Second, when shifting into gear, if I don't shift quickly, you can hear the gears grinding. If you move the shifter somewhat quickly it just clicks into gear, but if you move it slowly, you can hear them grinding until you move it far enough for them to catch. Is this normal

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... That's quite Normal,... Alphas need to be shifted Briskly....

First, the shifting and throttle is very stiff in both directions. I've oiled the cable and the shifter itself with no luck. The cable moved easily when unhooked from the carb and drive, but maybe it's just dragging under load? Should I just replace the cable or could there be something else I need to check

It could be the Cables, or possibly the Controller,...
Either way, take it apart to find what's binding...
Sharp bends aren't good for cables...

kc95gt

Cadet

Thanks. Good to hear that the gear noise is normal.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

NO NO NO
gear noise when shifting is NOT normal.
DO NOT baby it into gear or you will find out how much shift clutchs and fwd gear sets are.
ALWAYS shift briskly into gear
a solid thunk is a good thing.
NO ratcheting thats a bad thing.

kc95gt

Cadet

I meant to say that I'm glad that Alphas require you to shift quick and it's not just some synchronizer that worn out or something. I always shift quickly, it's just a pain that I have to remind everyone who drives my boat.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Is the shift lever just as hard to move with the engine turned off? Have someone turn the prop by hand and try moving the lever and see if it has the same reistance.

You may want to check your shift/ignition interupt switch and make sure that it is adjusted correctly and working.

kc95gt

Cadet

The resistance is the same whether the engine is on or off. I was looking at the cables here on iboats and they are pretty cheap. Which cable would I need? I see a 3600, 600A, and Gen2.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You do understand that you have 2 shift cables don't you. What you need to do is figure out which one it is.
Disconnect the cable from the engine shift bracket that goes directly to the outdrive. See if you can easily shift gears while someone is turning the prop by hand.
If it doesn't move easily, then you know the problem is with the lower shift cable.
Also check the control lever. If it still shifts hard, then the cable from the control to the engine is bad.

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same problem

Last edited:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Don S..

Hey i actually did what you just type about remove the shift cable from the shift bracket.

well my shift bracket has a white housing when open there is 2 wires which goes into the lower part of the outdrive to shift the boat.

i dont know how hard of a resisitant this shift bracket bracket has. but both of my shift bracket has the same resistance when shift to Forward or Reverse. its not hard. its smoth but with some resistance.

is this normal.

in other hand. i think my shift cable is still good condition. as you mention above.. i remove the cable from the shift bracket and the cable move freely..

to insulate the shifting problem. i have left the Shift cable to the Carburator to see if only the Shift cable to the shift brackek. and STILL THE LEVEL MOVE Freely. but ones the shift is connected to the shift brackek. i fill the resistance..

ALSO...

I open the white box where the shift bracket is located and lubricated it and put Anti-Seize to stop any rust

Longstand..Brother..

You have been here long enough to know to post a new thread question on your issue..We call this a "Hi Jacking"..Like some pirate jumping on your boat and kicking you off
Where somebody comes in and directs a question towards HIS problem..

If you post your own, you know people will answer you there instead of in this thread..

Good Luck