Intex 400 infl. boat first timer. 2.5hp or bat.

5356BELAR

Cadet
Hello, I've recently purchased Intex 400 inflatable raft. I'm seeking a motor for it I think that I should seek a gas motor instead of battery powered. I believe 2.5 hp is appropriate. The Intex 400 motor mount suggest for battery powered motors will it not support a gas motor. Do battery powered motors work well? Does its power last any? I am a first timer and looking for advice on subject. Does the boat need be registered for lake use. I dream of using a sail on it one day. Thanks folks.

Chris in Indiana

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Intex 400 infl. boat first timer. 2.5hp or bat.

Well, I have a couple of inflatables and can hopefully offer some insight. Primarily I run around the lakes here in IN but once or twice a year I go the the beach in SC. I have a MinKota 30 lb thrust elec motor that is fine for lakes but does not have enough power to overcome any tidal or river current. If I had it to do over again I would have bought the 55 lb model. Anyway I can run the 30 all day on a single marine battery, the cheap Everstart brand from WalMart. However it's always stressfull worrying about how much juice is left.
As to gas motors they are superior. For one thing you know precisely when you are going to run out of fuel and they do have more power. Also no battery taking up space in the boat. Keep to a 30lb or less model. Generally air cooled singe cylinder models are the easiest to maintain, but the water cooled twins are quite and idle down super low for quiet trolling.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

ive tried eletric as well as gas, and i prefer gas. like chris said, gas you know when its time to turn back, and the power, as for trolling, i run an 18 horse twin, and found in idle while in gear its slow enough. have to give it a little gas when running against the current. with gas i can be on the lake all day and still have a good reserve.

5356BELAR

Cadet

Thank you for your input Chris, I continue to do my homework. I dream of a gas power outboard motor. It seems that most 2.5 hp or 2 hp (not many) weight close to 17kg/37lbs. And I also found on Amazon an electric/gas motor mount. It is a little more heavy duty than the one suggested for the Intex Marine 400. I am not sure if it is compatible. I does have its aluminum tie arms at top but see none at bottom to secure the mount. It seems as though the motor on the mount board will just rest against the boat being secured only from the top notches. I trying hard to stay away from electric w/large size battery. TEXAS

Hi,
I can't answer you but may be you have some advise for me because I'm gonna buy one of these Intex Mariners. Do you know any difference between Intex Mariner 400 Model 68376 year 2008 and the earlier model (2007 I think)?
As far as I know the latest model has got kind of cubic shape seats compared with cylindrical ones in older models.
The important thing to me is if it has changed regarding quality or safety (Quantity of air chambers for instance).
Also is it easy to handle with oars?
Any other comments?
Best
Arman

Chris in Indiana

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As to rowing, it works fine if you're alone and there is no current. The rowing action takes a lot space and I typically have to reposition everything so as not to bust my knuckles.

For a small gas outboard, hunt around for a Tanaka. They are air cooled, tiny and light. A 3hp is only 17 lbs. They were also sold under the Gamefisher brand name, cruize & carry an some others.