internal cooling or not?

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm looking at a uased boat, an Imperial v182 inboard 1984 , it has the internal cooling system. In this better or worse than taking water from the lake. He's asking book value for the boat.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: internal cooling or not?

I prefer I\O boats and would not buy a used boat without a fresh water cooling system. it is the only guarantee that no salt has run through the engine block.

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Being that I live in ohio and ots only 18 ft I doubt it has been in salt water. I can do a vin search and try to pull a history but there are no guarantees. Is the internal system more maintenance?

Ned L

Commander

With 'fresh water coolling' or 'closed loop cooling' the only additional maintenance is a second cooling water pump, and periodicallychecking the coolant level (jsut like checking the radiator in your car). It really is an indicator that the boat was not originally a 'bare bones, no upgrade' boat. A closed loop cooling system is not cheap and does add long term value.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

It also has the added advantage of perminant antifreeze in the block, read some of the "cracked block", "freeze plug" horror stories here:eek:.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

don`t forget that it still draws water for the heat exchanger

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So the closed loop system will have 2 pumps. One for the engine coolant and one to pump lake water over the exchanger. Am I understanding this correclty? I am looking at three boats and I am just trying to decide which one to focus on. They are all pretty far from the house. This Imperial seems to be in the best shape water ready boat. The others are older and may need work.

Ned L

Commander

You are correct. A 'raw water cooled' engine takes water from wherever the boat is floating (lake, river, ocean) and pumps it directly through the engine, and into the exhaust pipes, where it is sent back overboard. Advantages - cheap, (that's about it). A raw water cooled engine will typically be stet up with a 140? thermostat (well below the optimum operating temp for an engine) because if the boat ever sees salt water, the salt will percipitate out of the water at the proper operating temps of 180? - 190?, and fill & plug up the cooling passages in the engine. A raw water cooled engine can not have antifreeze (w/ associated rust inhibitors) running through it, so the life of a raw water cooled engine can be quite short (in bad cases as short as 5 - 7 years in salt water environments).
In a 'fresh water cooled' engine (closed loop system) the engine is cooled by a closed loop of cooling water (usually with antifreeze) - like in your car. After the closed loop cooling water goes though & cools the engine it then passes through a heat exchanger (think car radiator, except there is water & not air passing through the outside) to cool off, and then back through the engine again. This type of system requires two water pumps, one for the closed 'fresh water' side, and one for the raw water side. Advantages - you can run a 180? - 190? thermostate and run the engine at the proper temperature. Engine life is GREATLY extended, basically to an unlimited life if maintained. - Consider this a pretty big positive feature if you are planning on owning the boat for a number of years - it will also add to resale value when you sell.