Internal Coolant Flush and Winterizing VP 4.3 GXI-BF

domer7

Cadet
Thanks for all the advice - found two drain plugs, one on each side - obviously put in prior to all the hoses and wiring harnesses added and engine placed in boat! Drained internal system, then filled through the thermostat port. Also displaced raw water with anti-freeze through muffs on raw water intake and ran until coolant came out discharge.

domer7

Cadet
I think he said the AF wasn’t strong enough to protect against freezing.
My pet peeve is that people don’t believe in buying shop manuals and self teaching. It’s ok to ask questions but really you need to have SOME base of knowledge!
Do you have a source for the correct maintenance manual for this engine? I went to VP website and entered serial # of engine and came up blank.

domer7

Cadet
I think he said the AF wasn’t strong enough to protect against freezing.
My pet peeve is that people don’t believe in buying shop manuals and self teaching. It’s ok to ask questions but really you need to have SOME base of knowledge!

ripjmk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think you may be entering a B instead of 8, it should be all numbers.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Might be using the wrong number, use 4012070861
Yes, that’s the serial number and it’s the best way to look up parts and service for Volvo Penta. It will also alert you to any recalls and necessary product updates if the package has been registered. In this case the engine, transom plate (TSK) and drive haven’t been registered. I recommend that the owner contact a Volvo dealer and get this registered in their name. Then they will be notified of any important information.

The 2nd best way to search is the Product Number (3869155) this will bring up most parts and literature. This is also sometimes referred to as the Part Number.

The 3rd best way is to use the Product Designation (4.3GXi-BF) This method can cause issues because it can sometimes be sensitive to uppercase/lowercase, space/no-spaces and dash/no-dash.
Such as DPS drive is very different from the DP-S drive,