Intermittant problem with text writing.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Occasionally, both here on the forum and in Outlook Express my text writing goes into overwrite. That is if I go to insert a word or correct a word, instead of the previously written text moving away as I insert, the new word or letter just overwrites existing words.<br /><br />It seems there is an option somewhere that controls that. Does any one know?

NathanY

Commander
Re: Intermittant problem with text writing.

the insert button on your keyboard

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Nathan and an oops for posting this in the wrong forum. :eek: <br /><br />(edit)a quick experiment shows that I can make overwrite happen using the insert key but re-hitting the insert key does not turn it off. <br /><br />This problem happens often enough that I do not think that I am inadvertantly hitting the insert key to activate overwrite.

NathanY

Commander

Maybe something is up with your keyboard? It should turn off when you hit it again.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If you just move your cursor to the place you want to insert, you can just start typing and it should insert.<br /><br />If you move the cursor there, and highlight any words you want to correct, when you start typing, the highlighted word(s) will be deleted, and the new words will be inserted.<br /><br />How many people will be playing with their "insert" key today?

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

How do you learn this stuff Nathan...I just thought it was a periodical problem with some programs...I tried playing with the insert button and I now have control of this overwrite thing...tanks

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Just went and tried to both activate overwrite and deactivate it, with the insert key. I does work both ways. It didn't seem to want to deactivate before.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Might be missin a lot of fun trblshtr! :D