intermediate shift shaft

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so I snapped the head of my shift shaft somehow and I now have a replacement... I just want to verify that when I install the drive again, I want to have the head of the shift shaft pointing straight forward correct? <br /><br />now I can have the prop spinnig forward or rev rotation when the shift shaft is straight forward, I beleve that I want the prop to be in a forward rotation but just want to verify this...<br /><br />Mercruiser Alpha 1 drive<br /><br />THANKS<br /><br />kid

BMDODGE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: intermediate shift shaft

with shift shaft pointing forward - the prop should be locked in forward also... your right<br />Bruce

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wrap a bungee counter clockwise around the prop then clip it on the cavitation plate and it will hold the unit in fwd gear. I do 3 or 4 a week by myself and its simple once ya do a few. my other trick is to measure from the center of the gimbal assy to the floor then measure from the center of the driveshft housing to the tip of the skeg use wood blocks on the floor to make both measurements equal. that way all I do is gude the drive. the block supports it.<br /> good luck and keep posting and now yall know all my tricks. well maybe I still have one I have not shared :) :)

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rodbolt, thanks for the info... where do I send the check :)

Capt Ken

Commander

Screw the blocks, floor crane does the trick and no strain on the back. I use to tote those drives all over the place and I remember once an old mechanic walked by as I was carrying a drive down to set on those blocks. He shouted that I wouldn't be doing that much longer. He was right. Doctor once told me not to lift anything heavy so the wife has to accompany me to the bathroom now when the urge strikes.