Interior Pieces for 198 c xl Chaparral

Chado339

Cadet
I have an 88 198 c xl chaparral cuddy. I got the boat from a family member and it has been sitting with out a cover. The engine cover is soft an wobbely as well as the pieces in to the lef and right of it were the rails for my seats screw in. I was wondering if here was a place that sells replacement interior parts or a someplace where i can get specs for these pieces to have made. Any ideas?

Chad

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: Interior Pieces for 198 c xl Chaparral

Welcome to the Chaparral club. Sounds to me like you will need to get handy remove what is left of the pieces and create new pieces using what is left as a template. That boat is 22 model years old and will likely need a whole lot more than you realize at first blush if it sat without a cover. My bet is the floor and stringers are rotted as well. The restoration section will likely be helpful but a resto is a huge committment of time, energy and money. What motor does your boat have? Does it run?

Chado339

Cadet

The floor seems solid and is not spongy at all. They had enough sense to remove the plug so the water ran out. The moter is a 3.7 liter 165 mercruiser. Boat runs but i need a battery. Outdrive was just replaced last year. Boat looks good just need a few of the interior issues taken care of i.e those pieces and some new vinyl.

tom135

Seaman Apprentice

I also obtained a 1988 198 cxl. The plywood under the vinyl is rotton, so I took it to an ulposter to see what he could come up with. He figured if I made new plywood templates, he could replace the interior minus the carpet for under $2000.00. So now I will be dismantling each piece, coppying the plywood, maybe give it a coat of epoxy to seal the wood, then hand the old piece with the new plywood to the ulposter for him to complete. This may be an option for you.

Cheers

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

I've recently finished my second cruiser refurbishing. If you are handy with wood tools and a stapler, rebuilding your engine cover and side panels is not difficult. Use the old pieces as pattens. Take photos so you know how things go together. Remove the staples holding on the vinyl. Use a good quality exterior plywood. Using the old plywood as a pattern, mark each new piece. Cut it out, round the edges over slightly with sandpaper, and cover it with a coat of epoxy. Use new marine grade vinyl - available on-line and locally - and new thin synthetic padding. Use stainless steel staples to attach the vinyl. In a couple of afternoons you've got a new interior. PM me if you have any questions. I've been there and done that and am glad to help. Hy