Interesting Supposition

aspeck

Staff member
Some hunting buddies and I were talking about this the other day, and have been thinking about it ever since....<br /><br />What if Senator Kerry does get elected? There is a good chance that there will be 2 and possibly 3 Supreme Court judges appointed in the next 4 years. <br /><br />Everyone seems to be talking about Hillary running for Pres in 2008, but now there is scuttlebutt about Bill wanting to be the next Kofi Annan. That couldn't happen with Hillary as Pres.<br /><br />So, what if she were appointed to a Judgeship? (She is an attorney and would be considered by many to be qualified.) That would be a life term! And Bill would be free to go for his apparently coveted position in the UN.<br /><br />Anyone else hear any rumors? Just looking at some possible scenarios ....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Interesting Supposition

It would be an interesting election year in 2008.<br /><br />John McCain and Condoleezza Rice vs. Hillary and Barak Obama.<br /><br />I can see the feathers fly already!

spratt

Lieutenant

Yeah, I have heard about Hillary wanting to run...I believe it is inevitable a woman will lead this country one day...that is, if Kerry doesn't take control and give it to Iraq...we COULD become the US of Iraq, then....<br /><br />BUt it might be interesting to see how many would actually vote for Hillary? I suppose it would depend on her competitor, but well?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If Hillary runs, I hope Mrs Rice would also run to offset the "chick factor"<br /><br />Hillory is not as evil as everyone makes her out to be, but she still is a liberal and wouldnt get my vote.<br /><br />Ken

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> Hillory is not as evil as everyone makes her out to be, but she still is a liberal and wouldnt get my vote.
Me thinks you have your blinders on,KZ. :(

oddjob

Commander

Hillary...THE smartest women in ....THE UNIVERSE!<br /> :D <br /><br /> :eek: A nation divided....or detached?

KennyKenCan

Commander

Hillary Clinton has to win re-election to the U.S. Senate in 2006, and her most likely oppenent will be former NYC Mayor, Rudy Gulliano!<br /><br />If Hillary loses the Senate seat in '06, she will not possibly be able to run for President and expect to win!<br /><br />Maybe her only option will be to go for the U.S. Supreme Court.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I have one wish and one only for a president. I'd like to see one that we can trust FULLY and know he will do his best for EVERYONE. One elected by the people and not big business or because he so rich he can buy his way into being a candidate. Who the HE11 is John Edwards!!!??? A slick suit lawyer who made his millions suing doctors. Who the HE11 is John Kerry!!?? A two face Vet....sorry....I don't even consider him a Vet. GW Bush....Sometimes I wonder if he is the right person for the job considering what the deficit and job situation is. Mr. Cheney.....well...I suppose if I'd been him I woulda' said yes to. I think I just might vote for Nader. I get so tired of the crap that goes on in the government. Anybody here know of just ONE good person in "our" government that would REALLY work for us and not their self?? <br /><br />FREE ELECTION????? Yeah. Vote for the one with money that gets shoved down our throats.<br /><br />I quit.....apologies for the rant.

aspeck

Staff member

You missed what I was saying - NOT Hillary in '08, but Hillary for a life term on the judicial bench of the SUPREME COURT! To me that is even more scary than her for 4 or 8 years as president!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Sorry aspeck....hope I didn't hijack the post. But it felt good to get off a little... :) <br /><br />Any of the Clintons in any position is a scary thought..... :eek: :eek: Even in these positions, IMHO, money talks.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by OBJ:<br /> .... Anybody here know of just ONE good person in "our" government that would REALLY work for us and not their self?? ...
Two that spring to my mind, one from each side: John McCain and Joe Lieberman.

aspeck

Staff member

OBJ, no prob.<br /><br />I guess what scares me is a president can be voted out of office, or their term limits kick in, but a judge is hard to get rid of, and when the judiciary starts MAKING law, then we the people lose our say. The Judiciary is in place to UPHOLD the law, not MAKE it.<br /><br />So the fact that there is a possibility of up to 3 Supreme Court seats that could open up over the next 4 years ...

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Aspeck, I read this post when you first put it up and I must say it is certianly food for thought. Justice is certianly a worthy goal for anyone that is power hungery...not to mention unchecked power. I wonder how the prospect of her approval as an appointee looks. I know a little about the process but unsure of how the panel stacks up. so for me the next question would be; Is she be able to withstand the appointment...I would think there could be considerable opposition there. <br /><br />IMO although an appointed position the canadates are better screned than some of the other positions it is believed she has her eyes on. Sad but true...we know less about the canidates for the position of highest office in the land than we know about odds of what the decision is gonna be from the courts. Rarley do the courts surprise us.

woodrat

Ensign

I LOVE it! The right wingers are going to be seeing hillary monsters under their beds for the next 20 years! Four years after the Clintons leave the white house and you all are still sitting around fretting about hillary! LOL!

woodrat

Ensign

Now, if you're talking about janet Reno, well, then you got me scared, too... :eek:

Drowned Rat

Captain

There's no doubt that Rudy would make a great candidate for president, but the best anti-Hillary device is going to be Sen. John McCain. They reported in the Arizona Republic here on Friday that if Bush is re-elected, Sen. McCain will run in 2008. And if Kerry wins he may run depending on Kerry's performance.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by woodrat:<br /> Now, if you're talking about janet Reno, well, then you got me scared, too... :eek:
at least you have some sense, woodrat!

aspeck

Staff member

Originally posted by woodrat:<br /> Now, if you're talking about janet Reno, well, then you got me scared, too... :eek:
Yea, Woodrat, that is even scarier! Although I am concerned about a Hillary Supreme Court appointment, I am more concerned about Supreme Court Justices being appointed because they favor ONE THING or another. Their job is to uphold the Constitution, not make new law. I am afraid that too many want to MAKE THEIR mark, instead of doing what they should do.<br /><br />The more I look at the Supreme Court, the more I think we need some way for Congress to re-evaluate their job performance in reguard to the Constitution after, say, 10 years. If they are not following the intent of the Founding Fathers, then it is time to replace them.<br /><br />Just a thought ... still in process.