Interesting flooding problem

skip4926

Seaman Apprentice
Specs
2002 Merc 50 hp 2stroke

Last week after idling for 30 minutes it would not start and was flooded. Waited an hour and it started up but there was lots of gas in the water.

Did a compression test and all 3 cylinders showed around 95 and when I put the plugs back in it fired right up. There was no more gas in the water. Initially thought maybe one of the plug wires was loose and that cylinder was not firing.

This week it started fine and no gas in water. After about 3 hours of running the boat engine slowed by about ? of WOT. It ran but lost some power. After I got back to dock I noticed gas in water again and it seemed to be misfiring a bit.

Questions:

1. Would the engine run on 2 cylinders if a plug is fouled
2. Would a fouled plug flood your engine and cause gas in the water
3. Can a new plug foul with under 5 hours of running time.
4. Is there anything in the carb that I can check without taking off and needing to readjust.

Thanks and I would appreciate any help on these questions.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Interesting flooding problem

Specs
2002 Merc 50 hp 2stroke

Last week after idling for 30 minutes it would not start and was flooded. Waited an hour and it started up but there was lots of gas in the water.

Did a compression test and all 3 cylinders showed around 95 and when I put the plugs back in it fired right up. There was no more gas in the water. Initially thought maybe one of the plug wires was loose and that cylinder was not firing.

This week it started fine and no gas in water. After about 3 hours of running the boat engine slowed by about ? of WOT. It ran but lost some power. After I got back to dock I noticed gas in water again and it seemed to be misfiring a bit.

Questions:

1. Would the engine run on 2 cylinders if a plug is fouled
2. Would a fouled plug flood your engine and cause gas in the water
3. Can a new plug foul with under 5 hours of running time.
4. Is there anything in the carb that I can check without taking off and needing to readjust.

Thanks and I would appreciate any help on these questions.

Yes
Yes
Yes
No

hope it helps
John

skip4926

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Interesting flooding problem

John,

Thats actually a lot of help.

Thanks.