Interested in buying an '87 Glastron

lro090

Recruit
Hello all, This is my first posting, I am interested in buying a Glastron which the seller said that that it is a 16 foot and of 1987. Do you think you can know the model and if the boat and if it is actually of 1987 and 16 foot. I have a long journey to see this boat and wanted to have more info before i actually see it and hopefully.purchase it. I live in Malta and boat is in Sicily!! Thanks in advance.

IMG_5200.JPG IMG_5199.JPG IMG_5202.JPG IMG_5203.JPG unnamed.jpg IMG_5205.JPG Capture.PNG IMG_5200.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5200.JPG
    IMG_5200.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
I moved your post Iro90 - It'll get much more attention as it's own thread. Welcome aboard:

It's hard to tell from photo's, but I'm guessing it's a 16'. That's based on the fact that I think that's a 70HP motor on the back and the 16s were rated for 90HP and the 17s were rated for 140HP. As to the year, it's hard to tell ... but in a used boat that shouldn't matter as much as the condition.

There's some information on Glastrons HERE and HERE. Assuming the boat was imported from the United States, there may well be a HIN number stamped into the transom of the boat. That number would tell you the year of the boat.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I would be very suspicious of that boat. It does not have the Glastron trademark "swoosh". Therefore I would suspect a re-paint job or possibly other damage necessitating a paint job. The seats are wrinkled indicating a poor job of reupholstering. There are too many boats in the sea. My recommendation is to walk away from this one.

Maclin

Admiral
I think Glastrons in Europe were made by someone else, under a license, and did not have the same markings but would have the emblem. Maybe.

Willyclay

Captain
Welcome to the iboats.com forum. The link below will get you to a website with the USCG HIN decoding legend in the event it was produced in the USA. A HIN will provide manufacturer's name and year produced but not model info unless the manufacturer added that info. Good luck and let us know what you do!

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html

EDIT: Looking at some of the Glastron websites makes me think the hull has the molded shape used by Glastron in the late 1980's and the emblem appears to be correct for 1977-1988 Glastrons. Looks like a 1986 Model Z-16 to me.

Last edited: