intercoastal waterway - NC

mellocj

Seaman
I am a new boater, I've got a 17' fiberglass boat with a 115hp Johnson. I've taken it out a few times on the local lakes. I'm planning to go to the beach, Topsail, here in NC and will have access to the intercoastal waterway. Just looking for some tips from people who have done it before, is it worth towing the boat 3 hours to do it? <br /><br />I saw someone on here posting from Hampstead, so I thought he or someone else might know the best places to launch, when to go, etc..<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />Mark

speed29668

Seaman
Re: intercoastal waterway - NC

I have a place on the waterway in Myrtle Beach. I have also been on the waterway plenty up in the Wrightsville Beach area, which isn't far (30 minutes) from Topsail. The waterway in most places is narrow with a lot of traffic on the weekends. You may be able to find coves in some places large enough to do watersports such as tubing, etc. Unless you are close to an inlet for fishing I wouldn't recommend the trip with the boat. I am not familiar about access in Topsail, but there is a very well designed and maintained public ramp in Wrightsville Beach. If you are going to bring the boat, launch it in Wrightsville. The scenery is great and there are plenty of supplemental channels and coves adjacent to the waterway. Plus there is an inlet. Just had to add my two cents.

mellocj

Seaman

Thanks for the comments speed.. If I end up not finding a good ramp at Topsail, I'll head on down the road to Wrightsville for the day... Maybe I can even find a dock to use at Topsail. Any more NC people on the board?

Knoxes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Charlotte, but spend a lot of time in Litchfield, SC. I have a Mastercraft which is not condusive to the intercoastal or the surrounding areas, but another family member is considering (with much encouragement from me) something similar to what you have and I can definitely see the value. There are probably hundreds of miles of creeks and waterways up and down the NC/SC coast to be explored, not to mention those barrier islands that can only be reached by water. I can't imagine not taking it. Get some charts and go have some fun.

Red Rider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You didn't mention if you are planning on fishing or going boat riding.<br /><br />There is a public boat ramp at the Highrise Bridge on the Topsail Island side. When you approach the bridge, as though you are leaving the island going to Sneads Ferry, just before you get to the bridge there is a side road on the right that leads to the boat ramp which is under the bridge. (This is where the late "Shrimp Lady" used to sell shrimp at her roadside stand). <br /><br />As you leave the boat ramp and turn right into the ICW it is only a few minutes to New River and the inlet. If you turn left into the ICW a few minutes will take you to the drawbridge. A little farther on is Virginia Creek/Sloop Point. Near here close to Red"86" marker, the boat channel that goes behind the southeast end of Topsail turns off to the left. You can follow this boat channel all the way to New Topsail Inlet. There are at least five places to launch a boat at this end of the island, (I don't have any idea of what it cost). <br /><br />There are also several places near the drawbridge to launch. I asked once at one place near the draw bridge what it cost, and was told $10.00. This was for an unimproved ramp with very limited parking. NC Wildlife has plans to construct a public ramp on the island side of the drawbridge, but I don't know when.<br /><br />From the mainland side there are some unimproved ramps, with limited parking. Watts Landing State Road 1560. Morris Landing State Road 1538. Tar Landing State Road 1531. Chadwick Landing State Road 1553 (??????). I don't recommend any of these landings as the water is very shallow around then, especally at low tide. Also there ar a number of Marina's from Scotts Hill to Sneads Ferry on the mainlnd side.<br /><br />Be vey carefull. All the areas around Topsail are very shallow. Anytime you leave a marked channel by even a few feet the chances of running aground is a real possiability. I know, :eek: I live in the area and spend about ¼ of my time getting unstuck. :eek: <br /><br />As for fishing? Shallow water for Drum. Dropoffs for Flounder and Trout. Near the inlets for Blues, etc. Have fun. If you see someone with five labs (4 black, 1 yellow) in a boat that is me. No! allow me to correct that. If you see someone trying to keep five labs in a boat, that is definately me. :D

mellocj

Seaman

Red Rider, thanks for the info.<br /><br />I am not planning to fish on this trip, just cruise around and explore. I'll be on the south side of topsail, near the Jolly Roger Pier. I hope to find a good launch spot near the drawbridge at Surf City, hopefully there is one less than $10!<br /><br />I'll ride up to the one you mentioned in the car and see whats up there.. I have been up to North Topsail before, but am not very familar with the area.<br /><br />Mark