intall shore power

Frankiea87

Petty Officer 3rd Class
im looking into installing some kind of shore power outlet in the boat but wondering if anyone knows of a thread already on here showing howto/materials. i would need... i already use the cord but have a quad receptacle attached to it but rather install a boat outlet inside the cabin and plug in the actual boat itself. thank you.
87 sea ray seville 21' mercruiser i/o

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: intall shore power

First question is going to be - how much power are you looking to install?
15A, 20A, 30A 50A?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not only how much power, but what are you planning on running? Electric stove, oven, air conditioning, microwave, refrigerator and freezer, along with the ice maker?. You know, the usual things found on a 21' boat.
Seriously, you need to consider what you need at any one time, and what power is available at your dock.

Frankiea87

Petty Officer 3rd Class

not much power at all.. just making a quad box... at most cell phone charger,radio, possibly tv/dvd combo, fan.

Don S

A 15A system should work fine for your needs.
You would need at minimum, a proper power inlet
A 15A circuit breaker that breaks both the hot (Black wire) and the neutral (White wire)legs.
14Ga. wiring multi strand, tinned wire (not the solid copper house wiring), to a receptical box/s with recepticals.

Here is more info on the systems and parts.
http://bluesea.com/resources

http://www.marinco.com/brand/marinco-shore-power

Frankiea87

Petty Officer 3rd Class

what kind of panel do i mount the breaker in? regular plastic box?

Don S

This is where you have to decide where you are going to put it. If it's not accessible without taking things apart, then a panel will be ok, but if a person can accidentally touch the wires or the back of the breaker, then it needs to be in a box.
There is no "One Size Fits ALL" type of installations on AC power on a boat.
Read the info on AC systems on boats. If not done incorrectly, it can cause big problems.

Frankiea87

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so theres no "codes" in boat wiring? as per household electric?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I wonder if shore power was an option on your boat, theres nothing in the owners manual?

Last edited:

Don S

No, there are no codes as in house wiring as far as types of wire. Just recommendations by ABYC. Which for safety, should be followed.
You can find excerpts from the ABYC in the resources link I posted at Blue seas.
Here is a drawing of a simple 15A system.
I would suggest however, if you want to run a TV, get a surge protector and plug into your GFCI receptical, and use ONLY a 14 or 12Ga extention cord from dock to boat. And get it as short as practical for where you will use it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 15Ashoreposer.JPG
    15Ashoreposer.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 0