Insurance for Antique Home Made Boat

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As some of you know, I've been restoring an old 1956 Chris Craft kit boat. When you bought the "kit" you got plans and directions to cut out the wood and assemble it and you ended up with a 16 foot boat. There are no labels or branding on the boat at all except for a Chris Craft logo on the steering wheel and no identifying numbers on the hull. This boat is part old from 1956 and part new. It will be powered by a 1956 30 HP Johnson Outboard. When I go to insure this boat before I take it out for the first time (for me) this summer, do I insure it as a Chris Craft or Home Made boat? Also, do I insure it as a 1956 or a modern boat? <br /><br />My guess is that insuring it as a modern day home made boat is probably cheaper but might not be the legal thing to do.<br /><br />Thanks for the advice!

Homerr

Commander
Re: Insurance for Antique Home Made Boat

I'm taking a wild guess, but you'll probably have to get the boat assessed much like they would do with an older antique car.<br />That will give you a dollar value and a replacement cost to start with.<br /><br />I insure my boat through BoatUS.com <br />You might give them a call and ask about your boat. I'm sure they've had similar situations.<br /><br />H.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Insurance for Antique Home Made Boat

Boat topic, JS.<br /><br />I will move it for you.<br /><br />Good luck. :)