insurance company Rant

Serentiy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone I just got to get this off my chest. On top of eveything else,see("prayer request") post It is multipull myloma Bad type. My other uncle passes away and mom just got out of the hospital. Well the other night my dad hits my fender while backing out of the driveway. He turns it into his insurance co. and they want to total it and give us only $515 for it. It is and 1989 mercury Sable Ls loaded it has 100,000 miles on it but we put in a new transmission in july that has a year, full warranty on it. new brakes ,roaters and tires it is a dependiable car and it still runs . The fender is bent in and it rubs on the tire. It is a car I can get in and it will start with no problem. I can not afford any car payments right now but need a car to get to work. What can I do now? She was only going to give me $515 for it saying that is what cars like mine will sell for around here. we sent her the kelly and nada book values and the transmision recipt she went up to $1000 but that is still below book she said they don,t us kelly or nada but there own comp prograhm. :mad: Ladyfish please tell me you do not work for an insurance co.in irving Tx.Any advice I,m getting sick and loosing faith over this. thank you for advice. not so serenity lately

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: insurance company Rant

Just decline the offer. If in the end they won't give you anything you may still come out better. A fender on that new of a car should be easy to bend back out. It may llok bad but its still driveable and you don't have any new payments. Sometimes wining is losing and vice versa.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As per Roscoe, Do a deal so you can keep the car. Write off to the insurance company does not mean a write off to somebody who can do the work themselves or doesnt mind driving a car with different coloured panels. I hope you get it resolved

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Accept the $1000 only if you get to keep the car.<br />Then take it to a small garage have them pull the fender out and check for other damage to tire and wheel. Tell the garage up front that you just want it driveable and are not interested in the cosmetics. It shouldn't cost more than a few bucks, then you can use the remainder if the $1000 for other purposes.

LadyFish

Admiral

Sorry to hear about your woes Serenity. Hope things get better for ya soon.<br /><br />And no, I don't work for an insurance company, I run a private non-profit on the Island. <br /><br />Roscoe gave excellent advice, thats exactly what I'd do, unless you have a high deductible.

Serentiy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you everyone who replied. We just spent the last 8 hours looking around at cars we thought we might want to go ahead and put some money in with this money and get a van I need something to pull my small boat with, like I did with my car. We will find out monday if we get to keep the money with the car, or just the money offer. thank you again it is so nice to have you guys to talk to. It keeps me from going out of my mind. Serenity