Instrumentation for GM 4 cyl inline

janpetemar

Cadet
My boat being of 1967 vintage has the fabled idiot lights for oil pressure and engine temp. Considering installing temp guage and oil pressure guage but have no idea on what to do. Sending units? Wiring? Since it is a Chevy engine, use automotive or marine gauges? Any ideas and wisdom appreciated.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Instrumentation for GM 4 cyl inline

"use automotive or marine gauges?" Are you going to use them in a car or a boat:rolleyes:?

OK! First write down all of the information for you boat, year, make, model, engine serial #, displacement, ect. Go to a local marine supply store (like West Marine) and talk to the parts guy, he should be able to fix you up with what you need. Good luck.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Actually - an oil pressure gauge is an oil pressure gauge. It doesn't care if you have the engine in a boat or car. The same is true for the engine temp gauge.

totx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sending units? Wiring? Since it is a Chevy engine, use automotive or marine gauges? Any ideas and wisdom appreciated.

You basically need:
Some wires
2 gauges
2 sender units

You probably have plus and minus in the instrument are.

Pluss and minus to each gauge.
(pluss instrument light if you have ore want)

And one wire for each gauge to the sender unit.

You have a switch today, change the switch for oil and water with sender unit.

Check range on gauge and sender, if you go for not OEM products.
(240-0 ohm for oil sender unit, Mercruiser) I think
(180-10 ohm for water sender unit, Mercruiser) I think
Maby not a problem in US, but big problem in Europe.

Sender and gauge, must have same range.

I your engine only have switches, download a newer manual in the adult section. I.e. manual # 10

janpetemar

Cadet

"use automotive or marine gauges?" Are you going to use them in a car or a boat:rolleyes:?

OK! First write down all of the information for you boat, year, make, model, engine serial #, displacement, ect. Go to a local marine supply store (like West Marine) and talk to the parts guy, he should be able to fix you up with what you need. Good luck.

Thanks for the starting point....fortunately I have a West Marine within 10 miles....:D

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Actually - an oil pressure gauge is an oil pressure gauge. It doesn't care if you have the engine in a boat or car. The same is true for the engine temp gauge.

True, but the marine gauges are sealed against moisture. Auto gauges would probably fog up the first time they got wet, a likely prospect in a boat.

Bifflefan

Commander

for my opinion, in a vintage boat,

1: id keep the so called "idiot lights" on the dash. make sure they operate properly and are in good order. even if you have to replaced them with newer versions.

2: install gauges in the engine compartment, where they can be read when the cover is open. then you can always just open her up to set your mind at ease, and still keep the vintage look.

But this is me.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I added a fully mechanical oil pressure gage from the engine to the dash (not cheap as I used a 25`hydraulic test line to plumb...but I had a scare once with an electric one)
I kept my idiot lights. I repowered to a V6, but did not want to disturb the dash so I kept the switches.
I added a temp gage from an 80`s OMC powered boat. Says OMC on it.
Gotta keep the chin up and have OMC pride. :)

janpetemar

Cadet

for my opinion, in a vintage boat,

1: id keep the so called "idiot lights" on the dash. make sure they operate properly and are in good order. even if you have to replaced them with newer versions.

2: install gauges in the engine compartment, where they can be read when the cover is open. then you can always just open her up to set your mind at ease, and still keep the vintage look.

But this is me.

Thank you for this response, as I want to keep the vintage look....:)