Installing regulator on 70hp 1985 Evenrude

gyoung

Seaman Apprentice
My alternator is charging at 16.7 vdc and ruining batteries.<br /><br />I have a regulator from a 1981 140hp. It has a purple wire (voltage sensing) and yellow wire for voltage out and a black ground wire.<br /><br />The book I have says a regulator should be inserted in series in the field coil circuit. I can only identify the yellow and yellow/grey wires that are for the stator coil I believe and go to the rectifier. And the red that is battery voltage.<br /><br /> How can I wire this regulator?<br /><br />Model no is CE 70EL COS<br />Regulator No is 511404 D1-3 J on the aluminium case.<br /><br />Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Installing regulator on 70hp 1985 Evenrude

I think this belongs in Evinrude troubles/repair.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats Keats Island!<br /><br />Have you checked out the rectifier and all connections to the battery? Is the output from the stator to specs....believe you have a 6amp system there.<br /><br />Take a look under the flywheel and see if you notice any "goo" laying around. If so, the stator is probably the problem....getting hot.<br /><br />Adding a regulator, which you really shouldn't have to do, may be masking the real problem.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The reason the voltage goes so high is that your battery capacity is too small. The quickest and easiest fix is to put a second battery in parallel with your starting battery.<br /><br />If you use a large capacity battery, such as a group 27 deep cycle or a group 30 or 31, the voltage will stay a lot lower.

gyoung

Seaman Apprentice

How do I move this discussion to Johnson Evinrude repair. Or do I just repost it there. I'm new to bulliten boards.<br /><br />I have checked the resistance in the stator leads and they are to spec. Have not removed flywheel. though to inspect stator condition. The diodes in the rectifier also check OK. The battery is a large deep cycle, although the previous owner had installed a small capacity, no maintenance car battery which failed on me.<br /><br />My manual and the the Seldoc Repair Manual I have do not give specifics on regulator installation.<br /><br />Thanks for your comments.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Since you have the regulator and perhaps may not want to add the extra weight of another battery, heres how to wire it in. Connect the yellow wire from the regulator to the yellow wire from the stator not the yellow/gray. The yellow/gray wire is also connected to the gray wire in the wiring harness and goes to the tachometer. Connecting the regulator to it will interfere with the tach. You will need to find the purple wire that comes in on the motor's wiring harness, not sure where on your engine, but on my 1978 Johnson 70hp it comes to a terminal block. Connect the purple wire from the regulator to it. The purple wire provides 12vdc only when the ignition is on. Hope this helps.

gyoung

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you willamettejeff. <br /><br />There is a purple wire on my terminal block that is +12 only when the key is on. So that is easy.<br /><br />Do I just add the yellow from the regulator to the yellow stator terminal or do I have to connect it in series somehow with the yellow wire to the stator?<br /><br />Thanks. I appreciate your help.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

You would just add the yellow wire from the regulator onto the yellow stator wire terminal.