Installing new Lower Unit

tweeder

Cadet
I just first let me tell you what I have and what I’m working on. I have a 1989 125 hp Force outboard. I needed to replace the gear dogs and, but was able to buy a used lower unit off of a 1994 120 hp force outboard for $200.00, so I figured I could save some money. When I got the new lower unit I began to install it, but there is a black hose coming out of the top front of the lower unit. My old lower unit didn’t have anything similar that I could see, so I’m not sure what it goes to or what I does. I have looked everywhere online, but still no avail. I figured someone may have an idea. Please let me know what it belongs to so I can get the boat in the water before the season ends. As always, thanks for the help.

vincetd1

Recruit
Re: Installing new Lower Unit

The black hose on my '92 Force 90HP hooks up to a hose coming from the tachometer mounted in the dash. Your old lower unit must not have had a tach but the unit you bought is equipped for the hook-up. Hope this helps.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hose is for a speedo hookup I believe, not tach.<br />Tach is an electrical connection coming from the rectifier.

vincetd1

Recruit

I stand corrected. The hose is a speedometer connection, not the tach as Roscoe says.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Don't STAND corrected, have a seat, stay a while. Enjoy a good cup of coffee or an adult beverage if you wish.<br /> :)