Installing new key switch and radio

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I have an 1973 Starcraft Aluminum boat, and I want to put in a new 4 position ignition start switch and a radio/CD player. The switch is marked IG , ACC, ST & B and they mean
Ignition , Accessories, Starter(?), Battery(?) (Is this correct?)

Ok, from the radio there is a Black wire labled (Chassis Ground) does this wire go to the - neg. on the battery ?

And a Red wire labled (12V Ignition/Switched), and a Yellow wire labled(+12V Battery/Constant)
and a Orange wire labled Illumination/Dash Light, the Red wire has a 9.5 A fuse and the Yellow wire has a 15A fuse in the wire.
How do I hook-up the radio to the key switch and the battery?
I have the speakers hooked-up correctly. Thank-you

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Installing new key switch and radio

ok, do you want your radio to remmeber the time and radio stations? this will mean there is always a small draw on battery. first off wire ign switch for boat, you are going to use this to start boat? check to see that acc wire from switch is hot with key in on position and acc position. if so this is where red wire from radio goes, this will allow you to listen to radio while engine is running or just in accessory position.yellow wire battery constant goes to battery connection at ign switch, check fuse I bet its a 1.5 not 15 amp.. then black wire goes to battery negitive. you should already have some type of negitive bus bar up near ign. switch any way. use test light or voltmeter if unsure.the orange goes to your running/navigation lights or leave disconnected never on or connect to radio red wire always on with key. hope this helps. and yes. ig is ignition power when key on, st is power when turned to start position this is spring loaded snaps back when you let go. b is for battery always hot when battery connected. and acc is accessory should be hot with key on and in accessory position

Moody Blue

Captain

What motor do you have on the Starcraft?

Are your replacing an existing ignition switch or adding new?

Its quite probable that the switch you have is not compatible with your motor.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The switch for an I/O is very different than one for an outboard. You had best be sure you know what you have. If you have an outboard the switch needs to have two "M" terminals or an "M" and an "I" terminal. These are what kill the engine. The outboard switch also has a "C" terminal (choke). It also has an "A" terminal (accessory) which feeds the gauges and some low current draw accessories. The "B" terminal is the +12 volt line from the engine. "S" is the line that energizes the starter. So if you have an outboard, you have the wrong switch.

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the motor is I/O 140 hp, 4 cyl. GM, Mercruiser (181 Cu. In.) do I need a special switch?

(I don't need to change the switch that I have) I have this heavy duty ignition and starter switch ( 4 positions: Acc. 10 amp., Off, Ing./Acc. 10 amp., Ign./Start 5 amp.),
and I thought I would change it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

My comments were directed at whether you had an I/O or an outboard. The switch you have is for an I/O so wire accordingly. You don't need to change the switch. The +12 volt switched lead from the radio goes to the IGNITION terminal on the switch. That terminal will be hot anytime the igntion switch is ON. The yellow wire from the radio requires a constand +12 volts. It draws a small amount of current to keep from losing all the station presets. Connect the yellow wire to the BATTERY (B) terminal on the ignition switch. Ground goes to whereever ground is at the helm. You don't need to run a wire all the way to the battery. Ground on any gauge will work. Now for the "gotcha". You will need to have the ignition switch ON to play the radio, even if the engine is stopped. That is not a good idea. On cars there is an ACCESSORY position but on your switch there is not. So why would you want to have your ignition energized and drawing current when listening to the radio. If you have a points type igntion, there is a good chance the points can burn if the engine happens to stop with them closed. So -- since the radio has an ON/OFF switch, wire both the switched and constant wires to the "B" terminal. You will need to turn the radio off with its switch.