Installing New Hardin Marine Gauges

83 sleek

Seaman Apprentice
I bought some new gauges to install and this is a new one to me. Old gauges were nice and simple. Water temp, oil pressure, volt meter, and fuel gauge all have 4 post with symbols- GRD, S, 0, and one has a l symbol. Old gauges just had 3 posts, positive, negative, and sndr. I am assuming S is the snder wire and maybe the l is for ignition but then why wouldn't it be a capital I, and obviously GRD is ground but what are other? The tach hsa a GRD post, a 12v post, and a SNR post? And this is a 1983 Sleekcraft Ambassador so forget about oringinal wires being color coded.

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Installing New Hardin Marine Gauges

The other pole is probably for lighting when you turn on your navigation lights. Not sure about which abbreviation is which though.

83 sleek

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Installing New Hardin Marine Gauges

The illumination has seperate posts at top for the self contained lightbulb. The posts are clear as to abbreviations. Just never seen a 0 next to post. The old speedo had a ground post and post marked S which is odd cause all it took was hollow hose coming from sender on back of boat. Don't undertstand why it needed ignition power.

Turn and Burn thank you. That link is greatly helpful.