Installing new electrical system

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello folks,

I have a 16' crownline runabout that I am in the process of completely redoing. I am on the electrical system atm.

First I need help with the battery selection. I will be running bow/stern lights, courtesy lights, AM/FM radio/speakers, (possibly VHF radio as well), accessory outlet and a bilge pump. Also lights on the gauges (Tach and Speedo). Granted these will all be on switches and not used all the time. Then I have my outboard to start (73' 65 HP Evinrude). How many batteries should I use and whether deep cycle or starting batteries?

Also should the batteries be wired together in series or use a battery switch to select them?

Should I use a handheld marine radio or mounted? Thanks so much for your time and effort in advance.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Installing new electrical system

Howdy,

It's always a good idea to have a second battery that will power your accessories. It should be a deep cycle if you're planning to use it to run long term stuff I.E stereos, and flood lights etc.

The NAV lights, blowers and other stuff should be powered by your starting battery.

DO NOT CONNECT YOUR BATTERIES IN SERIES! That will give you 24v on the system and will destroy everything that is not rated to operate on 24v!

Don't connect them in parallel either. You want to isolate the above items so you don't run your starting battery down while listening to your stereo and using the other stuff.

It would be good to get yourself a battery switch that will allow you to select 1 or the other or both batteries when needed. It's good to use a battery isolation device that will allow both to be charged when underway..

Here's some examples of battery switches.

Good luck,

Rick

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

below is a good diagram to help, also if going with a battery switch, get a continuous contact switch. the reason, if you want to charge a weak battery, that is not strong enough to start the motor you can switch with the motor running.. without the continuous contact switch, you can not switch to the other battery with out causing damage to the rectifer/regulater, and other electronics, on the motor.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=186986

Sig_Mech

Seaman

Hey Tin man, if you look at previous posts on this site you will see alot of debate on using automotive wire instead of marine wire. Just a word of caution: while automotive wire may be cheaper it is really not made to stand up to the abuse caused by a marine environment. If you're going to be redoing your entire electrical system I would recommend spending a little more and using the marine wire. If you look around you can find some good prices and the reliability should more than offset the additional cost.

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks so much for the help guys =) I am now looking forward to this new step in my project.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The electrical load you have is not very large so in my view you don't even need two batteries. Install one large capacity "dual purpose" marine Starting/Deep Cycle. You have no live well pumps, aerators, trolling motor or any other high-current draw items so why add weight and take up space when its not needed. The only exception here would be if you add a high power amp to the stereo. Then by all means a second battery is needed. If you are worried about running down the battery, carry a jump start pack and eliminate the complexities of battery switches, isolators, ACR's etc. Since you have an older outboard with a low output alternator, I would install a 5A onboard charger that you can plug in at the dock or at home to keep the battery topped off. This is even more important if do decide to add a second battery as that engine will not keep both batteries fully topped off. Then a dual output charger is suggested (one output for each battery).

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Silvertip,

Thanks for your input. I will not be running a high power amp on the stereo. So I think the single battery might be a good idea, due to weight/room problems. Also cost wise. I think I will save a few hundred dollars in the end. The most used electronic device will be the radio. The nav lights, occasional bilge pump, courtesy lights, spotlight will not be used that often. What is a good brand dual purpose battery as well as an onboard charger brand?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The iBoats store is down for maintenance right now but here are a couple of chargers that would do the job for you:

MinnKota MK110P (10A output) about $79.00
ProSport 6 Amp about $89.00
Guest 2608 (my favorite) 6 Amp $75.00 I have two of these (one is in its eleventh season and has never missed a beat.

As for a battery, I tend to buy the largest capacity (CCA) you have room for and I also do not buy high-end batteries. For half the price you can afford to replace them every four or five years whether they need it or not. Any farm store, auto store, or department store that sells boating supplies have dual purpose batteries. Plan on spending about $55 - 65 for a 750 - 900 CCA battery.

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I cant thank you enough for your help. You have made everything very clear for me.