Installing/hooking up DF70

edandq

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchased a DF70 and am hooking it up myself. It's hung, and steering is done. My questions stem around the Tach and the throttle. I don't have the instructions to install them, so what do I do? The tach seems easy on the engine end, but on the Tachometer, so are a ton of connections to which I don't think I need all of them, I'm not sure. Thoughts/help? Yes, I know I should get a manual, but I don't have time right now...

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Installing/hooking up DF70

I would suggest a manual. If you connect the wrong wire at the control, you may need to replace a ECU, cost close to 1100.00. What year, what control, what tach, what harness from engine to control?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ditto Clanton.<br /><br />If you don't have time to do it right, you don't have time to do it at all.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

edandq

Seaman Apprentice

Of course you're both correct. I just figured it wasn't that difficult. And in fact, when I went home tonight, and started looking at it, it was pretty simple. I had an old (1970) Johnson, and that was easy to me, but this had so many other stuff, but when looking at each connection, it was pretty straight forward. Yes, I will get a manual. It's a 2003 lease returnee, and yes, was/am trying to save some money. I just thought some tips if any might help. I would and will obviously take it in if I'm not 100% sure about something!

edandq

Seaman Apprentice

Oh, and I wanted to clarify. I don't the repair manual (getting), but do have the schematics and install instructions which came with the tach. It's the standard tach which comes new with the engine.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those should be adequate, E&Q.<br /><br />I have both the Service Manual and the rigging (set up)instructions for my 2001 DF70. If I can answer a specific question, please ask.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

edandq

Seaman Apprentice

JB,<br /><br />Thanks. It's going together pretty well actually. I'm really excited. Is there anything I should know specific about this engine? I'm hoping to dump some oil in it this weekend and maybe even get a test run in ;)