Installing Garmin GPS 152

bigmarc66

Seaman
Hey guys, recently bought Garmin GPS 152 with the internal antenna. Seems to be a nice unit, it was that or a handheld. So I was looking at the power cable and it is a power/data cable with 7 different color wires coming off the chord. I imagine red and black are power and ground, but do I need to do anything with these other wires. I am running it on a 19ft CC and do not have any other devices besides an old fishfinder. I believe these other wires to be used in conjunction with other devices, but im not sure. Thanks

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Installing Garmin GPS 152

Black and red are all you need with a 1.5 amp fuse. You can download a manual from the Garmin web site.

StrykeKing

Cadet

To be on the safe side, seal the ends of the other five wires so moisture can't get in. Shrink wrap works well.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Strykeking -- I hope you trailer with the motor tilted up higher than shown in the picture. Looks pretty close to the ground.

SFT2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys, recently bought Garmin GPS 152 with the internal antenna. Seems to be a nice unit, it was that or a handheld. So I was looking at the power cable and it is a power/data cable with 7 different color wires coming off the chord. I imagine red and black are power and ground, but do I need to do anything with these other wires. I am running it on a 19ft CC and do not have any other devices besides an old fishfinder. I believe these other wires to be used in conjunction with other devices, but im not sure. Thanks

I briefly had a Garmin 172C until I discovered that there was nowhere for that huge thing to go where it wouldn't block a more important gauge. I did, however, flip through the manual to see what I'd have to do to wire it up. As mentioned before, the black and red are all you need, the others are for things like the sonar box, autopilot, and so forth. I believe NMEA data is available somewhere in there, too, so it could be used to run a GPS speedo.

StrykeKing

Cadet

Strykeking -- I hope you trailer with the motor tilted up higher than shown in the picture. Looks pretty close to the ground.

LOL for sure, was actually draining the water out of the lower unit when taking the pic. :D

bigmarc66

Seaman

I believe NMEA data is available somewhere in there, too, so it could be used to run a GPS speedo.

So does this mean that to get a speed reading you have to hook up another wire? Or does the internal antenna give you a speedometer with MPH/knots. Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The extra wire are to interface the GPS data to other devices You'll have all the data you need without them.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Or does the internal antenna give you a speedometer with MPH/knots.

Doesn't give you a "speedometer", but will give you speed over the ground (SOG) if you configure it properly. Garmin makes a very user friendly unit, just read the manual and play with it ... :)

SFT2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So does this mean that to get a speed reading you have to hook up another wire? Or does the internal antenna give you a speedometer with MPH/knots. Thanks

I mean an external (well, external to the GPS, usually they're in the dash) speedo. I'm assuming the 152 is fairly similar to the 172 and, if so, you'll have a ton of options for displaying speed and other data.

bigmarc66

Seaman

Thanks for all the replies guys, hope to get it hooked up shortly, this cold in the NE will set me back.