Installing an Electric Fuel Pump?

Dale002

Seaman Apprentice
Is it possible to replace the fuel pump on a sport jet 90 with an electric one? Has anyone done this and what would be the fuel pressure required?

Laddies

Banned
Re: Installing an Electric Fuel Pump?

WHY? in my opinion your asking for trouble, you need a coast guard approval number on the pump. 3 1/2# idle and 6# WOT

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why would it have to have a Coast Guard number on it as electric pumps are goverment/CSA appoved to start with or they would not be able to sell them.

Laddies

Banned

Because when a electric fuel pump is installed in a marine application the coast guard requires it and they will write you a summons even after you blow your freinds and family up by installing a automotive pump. I guess thats the main reason.

Dale002

Seaman Apprentice

Only because I 'm in the process of repairing my pump. It leaked fuel into the crankcase. Thought it would eliminate the priming and future issue with a hole in the fuel diaphram. I will just go back stock. Thanks!

daveswaves

Ensign

Why would it have to have a Coast Guard number on it as electric pumps are goverment/CSA appoved to start with or they would not be able to sell them.

You want the Government to save you?? CSA only applies to AC devices for one, not 12V fuel pumps. UAP/NAPA has coast guard approved pumps for just slightly more than automotive pumps. Having said that they are designed for large carbs with big floats, they run 4 to 7 psi. On a small carb they are likely to flood which means you have fuel where you dont want it.
Stay with stock, there is a reason they did it that way.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Just to emphasize a little on whats already been said I installed a Holley redtop on a 1983 Merc 150. The 6psi its rated for was too much at idle and overloaded the floats. So I installed a regulator and found that at 4psi the motor really idled great. However at WOT it was starving for fuel. I now have a nice little pump for pumping out bad gas or whatever,

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

in order to keep it compliant not only does it have to have the USCG or ABYC rating it must be wired so that in event of engine shutdown for any reason the pump quits running even if the key is still on.
the later V sportjets have a small pump that turns on only when the key is in the start position to aide carb priming.

sjbrush

Recruit

I also have a sport jet 90. This last winter I stored the boat outside with a boat cover. I winterized it properly except for one thing, removing the hull plugs. Needless to say when I picked it up the engine compartment was full of water. I live in Wisconsin so I'm sure it was frozen.

I got it home and pulled the plugs. The top two came out fine but the bottom third plug came out and water followed. So some how water got into the motor. I manually turned over the motor and pumped out all the remaining water. I put oil in the pistons and in the carb throat. I check the compression and its good.

But it looks like I am having a fuel problem. The mechanical fuel pump isn't pulling much fuel. I connected a clear line to a cup of gas and it barely sucks up the gas. I pulled the fuel pump apart and it seemed ok. The diaphragm didn't have an holes in it and everything seemed to be clean.

So I am wondering if the motor isn't producing a strong enough vacuum to pull the gas in because of freeze damage or is the pump just bad. I dont know enough about each one to tell. How can I tell if the motor is damaged internally without pulling it apart? Should I try to start it with a little gas in the piston? My next thought was to put an electric fuel pump but after reading this thread I guess that is out of the question. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated!:):)

ventureman

Cadet

If you have an O'reilly Auto Parts near you, you can get a 12V, 2.5 or 3.5 to 5 PSI fuel pump for $39.99.