??Installing a Transducer??

I'm currently working on installing the sonar for my depth/fish finder on my "new" boat. Its a fiberglass boat and I know the popular way to install the transducer is to drill holes and mount it with the bolts and seal it with silicone. My Question is whether or not I can just sand a spot on the boat and my metal mounting bracket and use a two part epoxy to secure it? Will it work? Pro's and Con's to this method?

All help is greatly appreciated.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: ??Installing a Transducer??

Have at it! Transducers are rarely knocked loose from the transom, and they all have "kick up" features should you get too shallow with the *** end.

Just grind the gel off down to raw glass, then bond to there. It will stick MUCH better than to sanded gel coat...:)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I like mine inside the boat because I have messed them and the connecting wiring up in heavy floating timber.....where the HAWGS live. Grin Also it just makes for a cleaner transom and water skiers who like to board via the antivent plate on the engine don't mess it up while they are back there which they have done, especially kiddo's.

I mount the main transducer as close to the centerline as I can get it as close to the inside of the transom as I can get it. Inside you have to insure that you have a solid medium between it and the water....solid glass/alum....no honeycomb/cork sandwiches.

Some have mentioned that doing this inhibits your thermometer on those with a combination unit. Mine is currently in an alum boat and If I stop to fish, the one on the trolling motor and the one in the boat are usually no more than 2 degrees apart. After the boat has been still for several minutes, they read within 1 degree F.

Mark

john from md

Commander

I have installed them using heavy duty velcro and have not lost the transducer. If you want to use a waterproof epoxy, it will work but, if you change fishfinders, you will be stuck with the same make due to the mount being epoxied on.

Drilling holes in wood and fiberglass boats is not a big deal and does not weaken the strength of the transom if done correctly.

John

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm currently working on installing the sonar for my depth/fish finder on my "new" boat. Its a fiberglass boat and I know the popular way to install the transducer is to drill holes and mount it with the bolts and seal it with silicone. My Question is whether or not I can just sand a spot on the boat and my metal mounting bracket and use a two part epoxy to secure it? Will it work? Pro's and Con's to this method?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Don't use silicone use 3m 5200. you will have no problems with water intrusion. Then just start drilling.