Installing a Tranny Cooler

HotLava

Seaman
Hey Everyone,<br /><br />I have a 2004 XTerra, 6cyl, auto, 4x4 w/tow package (Class IV hitch). I am thinking of making a few long distance runs this summer with @3,500lbs. I'm guessing that a tranny cooler would be a good idea. How hard are these to install? Is it worth DIY or is it just better to lt someone like U-Haul install one?

kgorey

Cadet
Re: Installing a Tranny Cooler

HotLava - If you've got room between your grill and your radiator (and possibly condensor), it's not to bad of a job. More than likely, there are already lines from your trans to your radiator. You just need to decide whether to put it in the line before or after it goes into the radiator. Usually your lines set up dictates that. If you're mechanically inclined and have access to basic tools, you should be able to handle it. Good luck.

TilliamWe

Banned

It's not hard to do at all. Even the basic mechanically inclined can do it. In the case of my 1987 Chevy van, the hardest thing was figuring out which way the trans fluid flowed through the lines going into/out of the radiator. A second person to start the truck & turn it off QUICKLY would have been handy. As it was I made a bit of a mess. But it was easy.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I'd be real skeptical of letting a place like U-Haul work on my new truck. Better to take it to a real mechanic, or if you're so inclined, certainly make an effort to do it yourself, the kits come with simple directions to follow.<br /><br />Your post leads me to a question, though...I'm not that familiar with new Nissans, but an 04 Xterra with a "tow package" that didn't come with an external transmission cooler? Seems a little odd to me, but maybe that's what they do. Take a careful look, are you sure there isn't a factory installed cooler in there already?

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Like others said, it's likely not a tough DIY. On the other hand, to avoid the mess and because I was busy, I had one installed a couple years back. I was surprised how cheap it was. Only an hour or so of shop time on top of the part.

WSUDERMAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

another - cleaner way to identify the direction of fluid travel is from a cold start, put it in drive and let it sit for a bit, then feel the lines. one should be cooler than the other. The hot one is coming from the trans and the other is the return line. Also, depending on the car or truck, you can look at where it enters and exits the trans, any line going into or near the trans pan is the return line. The feed line will come from a point higher and closer to the front of the trans.

HotLava

Seaman

Yeah, I was going to let U-Haul do it but now after seeing the shop I am thinking twice about that. I need a few things done though. I need the cooler, my 4 plug converted to a 5 plug and the tow ball installed (I don't have a torque wrench). Maybe I'll take it back to the dealer. <br /><br />Yes, I am sure there is no external cooler, unfortunately. I might actually wait on that since I won't need it for a few months.<br /><br />Thanks for the help everyone.<br />John

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Just be sure to get a quality cooler kit. Some of the cheaper ones just cut the line and attach the hose with hose clamps. Sharp end of cut line can cut through the hose, or the oil pressure can slide the hose off the line. Look for a kit that uses compression type fittings and barbed hose connectors to make the connections. <br /><br />Check out the camper/trailer magazines/websites for cooler installation reviews.