Installing a tachometer......... A few questions....

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an old rough 1978 MFG superbass with a '79 Johnson 25hp seahorse. I currently do not have a tach and want to find out what the engine is turning. I will probably be replacing the prop that is on the motor right now and would like to know where I stand. If the current 10.25x13 is not at 4500-5500rpm then I want to compensate by switching to a different prop.<br /><br />My question is about tachs. Keep in mind this is an old boat that we will be using for fishing and I'm not concerned about looks. I'm concerned with minimizing my costs while still getting an accurate reading. Is it a must to buy one of those expensive boat tachs that I've seen online or can I use a tach thats been pulled from a car, motorcycle, etc? I just want a reliable reading. <br /><br />If I do happen to use a non-marine tach how do I wire one properly? Since the current motor has no tach I don't know where to begin? Does it wire into the selenoid?<br /><br />Anyway, I'd appreciate some comments. Thanks.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Installing a tachometer......... A few questions....

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind.<br /><br />Just in case I do find a freebie, will an automobile tach work?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Many small motors have no easy way to install a tach, as the wiring isn't set up for it.<br /><br />Tinytach is your best bet.<br />Anything else will involve more money, time , and frustration.<br />They are simple to install. Just wrap the pickup wire around a sparkplug wire. Done. You can move it from motor to motor just as easily.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

first head to a local dealer and ask for any s/h tachs that work that are lieing around. we have tachs from trade ins from all kinds. the last one i let go for a 12 pack. you will likely have to set the pole switch but thats no biggie.