Installed new fishfinder, now console has no power.

I turn the ignition key and the fuel gauge needle goes up but the volts and other gauges do not. Outboard wont crank either, nav and pump switch light up when switched on and horn works. Fishfinder unit does not have power. Im going over later to do some more trouble shooting, would a faulty butt splice from the fishfinder to the fuse panel cause these problems. The boat is a 2012 175 tracker pro fish 115 optimax. Thanks, Luke...

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Installed new fishfinder, now console has no power.

Check all your fuses and check any and all butt splices and connections to anything in the area that you were working. You may have inadvertently loosened something up while making connections and pulling wires.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A bad connection going to the fishfinder wouldn't but incorrectly running the wiring (ie short) could blow a fuse thereby stopping all power to the console. Check the connections on the back of the ignition switch itself as well. Grab a meter and start running the hot leads coming from the battery to the ignition switch and then to the console and see where your power ends. Pull all fuses and check for continuity. You'll find the problem eventually if you go item by item, checking power as you go.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Before getting all wrapped up in this, check the fuse under the engine cover. If the engine doesn't crank it is very probable that one of the ENGINE fuses is blown. If you find one blown, DO NOT replace it until you recheck your wiring to the fish finder. You should connect the +12 volt line from the fish finder to an empty slot in the fuse panel. Ground goes to ground wherever you find it. There are two electrical systems on a boat, not just one. The engine system feeds the engine related circuits and the instrument panel. There is a separate pair of #8 or #10 wires going from the battery directly to the fuse panel at the helm. That is the boat system and that is the system you should be using to power the fish finder.

Thanks for all the replies. I went back to the shop and started tracing wires from the battery. That's when I found the negative cable that goes from battery to motor hiding under the livewell:embarassed: I guess that's what I get for installing the battery with a migraine headache and no flashlight. Lesson learned, cranking battery has 2 leads on each terminal. Boat is powered up and ready for some spring coho/crappie.

P.S I guess some good came from this mishap, I finally started an account with Iboats.com:joyous:

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the replies. I went back to the shop and started tracing wires from the battery. That's when I found the negative cable that goes from battery to motor hiding under the livewell:embarassed: I guess that's what I get for installing the battery with a migraine headache and no flashlight. Lesson learned, cranking battery has 2 leads on each terminal. Boat is powered up and ready for some spring coho/crappie.

P.S I guess some good came from this mishap, I finally started an account with Iboats.com:joyous:
OOPS, at least it's fixed! :lol: Good luck fishin!

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

y u been missing out iboats is great for all boaters !!!