Install & wiring for trim gauge

copake

Cadet
Hello, long-time reader, first time poster.
(and yes, I did try the search function first.....)

My new-to-me Bayliner Capri doesn't have a tilt/trim gauge, and I'd like to install one.

First of all, I did just have extensive (but normal -- bellows replacement, raw water pump, outdrive lube) maintenance done by a trusted mechanic. There are the two sending units on the outdrive -- one (port?) limit switch sender for the tilt, and the other (starboard?) for the tilt angle. The mechanic did adjust the limit switch properly so the drive can't be over-trimmed.

Presumably the tilt angle sender wires are just terminating someplace in the engine bay. Can I simply run these to the dash, and wire in a tilt gauge? Obviously will require drilling a hole someplace on the dash. I assume any guage will also require power, which I could tap into behind the instrument cluster?

Thanks for any guidance.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Install & wiring for trim gauge

Trim gauge requires just a single wire from the sending unit on the drive, up to the "S" terminal on the gauge. +12 volts, ground, and the light connection can be obtained from any other gauge on the instrument panel. The gauge will then go active anytime the key is on.