Inspection Port

Oregon Jon

Seaman
I have twin 1971 Evinrude 18's. They have what appears to be an inspection plate about half way down the lower end held on by two screws. If this is an inspection plate, what am I inspecting and what should it look like? If not what is it?:confused:

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Inspection Port

Welcome to iboats. :)

That's an access port for the shift link. You only go in there if you're removing the gearcase.

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

On the same note if you don't mind me asking in your thread is where can I get a new shift link like that because I accidentally stripped mine.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

re thread it,to next size up. hard to find.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Nothing obsolete about them. Any dealer should be able to help. It's the price that'll get ya. So what else is new?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

be sure the notch of the shafts are in position ,when they are not the screw gets cocked and the steel screw easily strips the brass coupling,I have managed to get a nut on the backside and used a stainless screw,trick is loosen other screw allowing to manuver ,it is easier buying a new one ,but i like to experiment,also,you dont need to use a heavy hand on those screws,they are basically threaded pins that position the shafts in the correct place,to tight,strips or cracks the brass