Input yoke replacement

bigbob_FTW

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm needing to replace the input yoke as I have oil in my bellows. I was planning on buying the yoke, the large O-ring, new seal, and of course, the tool to remove the big nut. Anything else I should need?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Input yoke replacement

Howdy,

If you don't have the OEM service manual, you should probably have one on hand also...

See the "Adults Only" thread above......I think yours would be #6

Regards,

Rick

ziggy

Admiral

for sure about the service manual.
read it too. it's not straight fwd. putting it back together.

you'll for sure need a dial indicator inch lb. torque wrench. capable of going real low... from memory, 4-10 in. lbs. to set your rolling torque on your new nut and washer that hold the drive gear onto the yoke..
if you change anything other than the seal, from memory again. i think you need to shim it. that'll be some more tools. read the sm, it'll give you the facts. do it by the book too... fyi. i've never done a alpha1, only a 1 drive. which didn't need to set rolling torque on, but your alpha1 does..... others that've done the deed will let you in on more facts or straighten you out if i'm leading you astray... good luck...

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

and of course, the tool to remove the big nut.

Ayuh,....

You're going to need another Tool for that Big Nut,....

A Tool to Anchor the Drive to something,...
Otherwise,..
You'll be chasing that drive All over the county trying to meet the Torque Valve of setting that Big Nut....

ziggy

Admiral

A Tool to Anchor the Drive to something,...
i had my upper and lower apart. used my boy as a counterweight by having him stand on the drive as i torqued that retainer nut down... worked good as i had to do it 2 or three times to confirm shimming..
i believe a buddy i met here on iboats used his trailer and some wood ingeniously to help keep it from getting away from him while torquing on that nut..

bigbob_FTW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great advise all, thanks! I'm sure it will cost me some knuckles, everything else has.